Early mot ?

sonic

I don't believe it does . I put mine in a month early every year just in case anything serious needs doing , gives me the time to get it done. Also if it passes , like it has done every year so far ( 8 yrs ) you have 13 months mot

It appears VOSA agrees with Bill.

An MOT is valid until midnight on the date of expiry of the current

certificate - even if the vehicle fails an MOT prior to that date.

Please note however that the vehicle should also be kept in a roadworthy

condition and meet legal requirements at all times in order to be driven

on the public highway.

Once midnight on the date of expiry is reached, you are only legally able

to drive the vehicle directly to/from a pre-booked MOT test.

If the vehicle fails the test you are also able to drive it to a place of

repair and back to an MOT garage for re-test.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you

have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Robert Evans

VOSA Contact Centre

Operations Directorate

Tel: 0300 123 9000

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?/topic/129295-mot-fail/

If you take it for an MOT early, it will invalidate your current one. If you just tell your garage to see if they find something that would make it fail, that wouldn't.

You're wrong on that, I checked this with DVLA a few months ago - an MOT is valid until it expires - even if you then fail another MOT - the second does not supersede the first. Not that it's good to be driving a car that wouldn't pass an MOT of course.

Your both kinda right

An MOT is valid until the old one runs out, but its also illegal to drive a car with defects that would cause it to fail an MOT. For example "Sorry officer my 4 fooked tyres are legal because they went through an MOT 11 months ago" will not get you off

So you can still use it to get a tax disc but that wont stop Mr Vosa from doing his thing when he pulls you over.

Cant you just ask an MOT tester to do what he would do off the record and pay him hours labour????, Im sure Sonic knows people ;)

• Like 1

The problem with that argument is that it would negate the whole system, as an MOT is only valid as a true cerificate of road worthiness at the point the tester signs it off. What if you have for racing slicks 10 months in? Your offence is driving with defective tyres, not driving without valid MOT.

The issue here is not road worthiness but whether or not you hold a valid MOT certificate. So actually only me and my accolites are correct :lol:

The problem with that argument is that it would negate the whole system, as an MOT is only valid as a true cerificate of road worthiness at the point the tester signs it off. What if you have for racing slicks 10 months in? Your offence is driving with defective tyres, not driving without valid MOT.

The issue here is not road worthiness but whether or not you hold a valid MOT certificate. So actually only me and my accolites are correct :lol:

But that is actually my argument. If you have those racing slicks on and do an early MOT after 6 months, that proves the car isn't road worthy at that point, so logically only the latest test should count.

Which means that no MOT is valid at the point your car would fail and therefore the 12 month thing goes out of the window. It's two seperate issues, one is road worthiness and one is conforming to the requirements ofcthe MOT testing regime. I entirely agree that it's a nonsense, but a certificate is valid for 12 months.... end of.

Just to clarify .An mot is issued for a vehicle because it reached the required criteria at the time of test ,the issue of an mot certificate does not guarantee that a vehicle will be roadworthy even in 24 hours time (only at the time of testing)

No one can cancel a valid mot certificate vosa/the queen whoever,and a new certificate pass or fail does not cancel an existing certificate

It is an offence however to knowingly drive a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition ,or unknowingly for this matter

So if you are issued with a failure notice the onus is on the presenter to rectify any faults before continuing to use the vehicle (exemptions to this are to and from an mot testing station)

Well that clears that up , same reason Paul stated , the car has been modded , dating back to 2008 , but some of the mods are not what I call legal , ie , unknown zorst , unknown cat , hids with standard lenses , and there is an annoying knock starting on the front suspension ( but I don't think it's that ) , as the faff is a daily works car , I don't want to find out in oct that the car needs a grand spending on it

Emissions are a worry , but when I decated the 182 , the emmissions were LOWER than they were 8 years earlier when the car was newer and was running a cat !!!!!

I think the key is that KNOWINGLY driving a defective vehicle is a much greater crime. There are certain parts that drivers are expected to check regularly themselves such as tyres and lights, but you are very unlikely to be prosecuted for a bit of play in a fig 8.

The way I view it is that I rectify any safety related issues ASAP so that if I'm stopped I can't be prosecuted for driving a 'dangerous' car, then the cosmetic stuff (welding, emissions etc. ) and retest can be done at leisure.

i always go a month early, the original mot counts if the plod pull you or you need tax but its common sense to get her fixed as soon as and retested cos the pass certificate will have as much as 13 months on as it runs from the expire date of the previous one. ;)

Ok I’m going to throw a bit of a curve ball out there for you all now.

MOT systems work by, you take your car to garage, garage tests car, garage passes or fails car, garage then enters record and details on to a national data base for all authorities to access and see!

Scenario is you have a current MOT and all is fine but 6 month further on you decide for what ever reason to put your car through another MOT but this time it fails. Lets say for arguments sake it fails on emissions but even though your intentions are to sort it ASAP its ok you think as you still have 6 month left on your old MOT.

A few weeks go by and suddenly you get a blue light in your mirror, you get pulled over and told by the kind officer that according to their record you vehicle is showing that it has a failed MOT and should not be driven on the highway.

You say that's OK officer the MOT before that is still current and only 6 months old and MOTs are current for 12 months, he replies to what we all know about driving an un-roadworthy vehicle on the public highway.

Not sure if this will apply to getting your vehicle licence (tax) across the Post Office counter but try and get tax from DVLA with a failed MOT via the phone or internet by just using your V5, ”computer says no!”

The sheer fact that you need an MOT to be able to drive your vehicle on the public highway and a failed MOT means that you are knowingly driving your vehicle in an un-roadworthy condition and couple this with the fact that you will never hide this fact from the authorities (including insurance people) surely this means just by the mechanics of the way the system works your second MOT supersedes the first?????

I how I look at it is getting MOTs done really early to see what it might fail on is a waist of time as if it does fail you then cant legally drive it on the road until the records say it is roadworthy again, which means a retest which you have up to 10 days to do before it becomes a complete new test again. Dorris

Edited by Dorris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.