standard fuel VS premium Fuel

kenyon

I know this has been done / discussed before.

However i am going to do it again !

I wondered what is better in terms of MPG if any out of the premium fuel (in this case tesco momentum 99) and standard fuel (again tesco's standard fuel 95)

So I traveled similar journeys with both - premium on my way out to visit family and standard on the way back.

i put £25 worth of fuel in. Premium = 141.9 Standard = 135.9

surprisingly i got 152 miles from the premium and 149 out of the standard. Which mean although i got the same value out of both fuels i got better MPG from the Premium fuel.

premium = 39.2MPG standard = 36.8MPG

so it cost no more to use the premium although their is an extra cost at the pump and you get better protection and performance.

No excuse to use poor fuel then :-)

I do agree that this is not a pragmatic test nor does it give a good representation of what results others could expect from the same fuel.

However I do think this gives a good idea for comparison

The journey was on the same day their was a 1 degree heat difference, cooler on the standard fuel and my driving style remained the same for all intense and purpose. Although that is impossible to prove on country roads I was sharing my experience

Re: fuel....my understanding,

High octane is better against knock, yes? That's why we have it....

You can therefore tune your car (or buy it like that) to run leaner than normal and that should give more mpg (and less risk of detonation).

Running a car whose ECU does not run leaner with higher octane fuel would treat the fuel exactly the same, and use as much ?

EDIT - cope with more advanced ignition

Apart form cleaning additives to clean the injectors and improve that side of things, how can the higher octane work unless the Toyoyta ECUs can recognise?

Or have I lost the plot?

I use high octane to avoid knock on a boosted engine, and can tune for that using emanage. Does the normal ECU recognise the new fuel somehow?

Edited by digs

gen 7's have ECU's that learn within parameters. E.g. air flow, fuel etc. So the ECU itself does recognise the different combustion and can alter to suit.

gen 7's have ECU's that learn within parameters. E.g. air flow, fuel etc. So the ECU itself does recognise the different combustion and can alter to suit.

well that would make sense then!

EDIT: so the ecu will advanced timing when it learns that the fuel it is using is burning slower? Or similar?

Edited by digs

I did reset the Ecu however there was no time for it to adjust to new parameters. Your right so not really valid at all, just interesting that I had put less fuel in drove in a similar manner and still got the same range.

It's all witch craft and mumbo jumbo

I thought even thou the ecu can learn and adjust its self , it still runs with in the parameters of the factory map , so unless its an import mapped for 100 Ron , then premium fuel doesn't make a huge difference on a euro mapped car , hence the higher qouted power figures for imports

All I really know , if I run normal fuel in my imported faff , it pinks like a bastard , normally run tescos 99 , but noticed shell v power nitro plus turbo vunderbar does make the car run smoother

I changed from filling up in Tesco to Shell 6-months ago.

My car used to average 45mpg on the fuel computer on Tesco juice (a Diesel) and over the last 6-months now averages over 47mpg on Shell. Idle is smoother too.

I have never done the math to see if the additional cost is worth it though :)

This is fun. I love these petrol threads. Did it myself a couple of months ago but messed up the maths. I put the nitro stuff in because it makes me think I'm treating my baby right. If this week's maths say it's better, fine; if next week's says I'm wasting my money, equally fine - the celica makes me feel good and feeding her champagne instead of Asti Spumante is the least I can do in return. But, hey, let's do more of these threads, they're fun!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.