Brake disc question

Hoody

Just about to buy some new brakes and not sure what discs I should get:

Drilled and grooved or dimpled and grooved?

Is that an advantage over the other?

In the past I've had people say drilled are more prone to crack is that true?

Edited by Hoody01

Dimpled seem to make a ticking noise, must be the air getting trapped as there is nowhere for it to go.

I had drilled & grooved tarox on my fronts for over 2 years and they were fine, but drilled are more prone to cracking especially under very heavy use.

Drilled and grooved are as gud as the plain ones, as already mentioned, drilled can under extreme braking split. Prob only on cheap chinease ones though.

Grooved ones are the ones to get and they look good too. ;)

Edited by Trebor4460

Absolutely nothing wrong with drilled discs, just avoid the cheap ones ... but you do that with all discs anyway right?

Cant comment on what they are like for track use because i've never used them on track before. I imagine a decent set will be up to job though, otherwise you wouldnt see them on pretty much every new powerful sports car.

Edited by harv_j

mmm cheers for all the help guys, yes i am mainly going for looks but also anything better than stock ones i got at the moment lol. Im goin to have another think and might just get grooved.

I have dimpled and grooved, they make a very slight noise but you can only really here it when your passing a wall or a row of parked cars, but I like it, reminds me that there still there lol

mmm cheers for all the help guys, yes i am mainly going for looks but also anything better than stock ones i got at the moment lol. Im goin to have another think and might just get grooved.

Freaky Parts will do you a good price on Mtec, I think they were. A little over 200 for grooved & pads and a set of braided hoses which I think are usually around 60. Same price for grooved / drilled as flat. The only prob with oem is in reality they are just a bit small for the job and the calipers are weedy. The only real ways to get better stopping power is to beef up the calipers & or bigger discs but you can improve the travel a bit by braided hoses and esp a brace between the master cylinder and bulkhead which is about £40 usually and was the best value improvement when I replaced mine. It reduces the flex in the system and cut the travel before bite by a third to a half.

ps if you are going for looks I recommend you paint the hubs at least before fitting as they all corrode. I will remember next time!!!

Edited by daytona

i've had drilled (black diamond), dimpled and grooved (EBC) and blanks (blueprint / toyota) over the years and for what i do (road and sprint) they have all performed similarly. the grooves / holes also help gas build up escape too apparently.

i'd avoid drilled these days just on the internet stories, but prob very rare failures and in extreme circumstances.

for a road car blue print blank discs and decent make pads should be fine, but as others have said grooved can look cool :) they do make a little more noise and in my head might also wear the pads a little quicker but i bet theres hardly any difference.

best way to improve brakes IMHO is pads. pad material will make more difference than any other component, short of shoehorning big stoppers on which is expensive and again IMHO certainly not needed for road use. they look bloody great though :D

oh, and one note, if you ever think of going near a track stick some high temp brake fluid in- this is a must on middleweight celicas and above!

Drilled disks are fine. common misconception over some internet hype that they will blow up and WILL DIE!!!!

TRD big brake for THIS very car runs drilled disks, i woul love a set, if i didnt already have a shopping list as long as my arm to get moo back on the road already!! haha

Edited by splinter

Absolutely nothing wrong with drilled discs, just avoid the cheap ones ... but you do that with all discs anyway right?

Cant comment on what they are like for track use because i've never used them on track before. I imagine a decent set will be up to job though, otherwise you wouldnt see them on pretty much every new powerful sports car.

Have to disagree with this I'm afraid.

I have used drilled discs in the past.

Started with Black Diamonds. They started with very fine cracking from the holes outwards. I replaced them with another set.

Second set of Black Diamonds (less than 18 months from the first set) eventually went the same way. I remember being in Cumbria on a rally and tyre kicking, one of the other owners asked if my discs were ok as there was a crack coming out from the hole and another one on the edge of the disc working its way towards the other.

It was a slow drive home!

I replaced them with a set of AP Racing 4 pot calipers with genuine AP racing 330x28mm discs.

DSCF0101.jpg

These lasted around 9 months before they started to crack from the holes. I even spent time looking after these and cleaning out the holes every week or 2 as well. Wasn't impressed as to replace them, they cost me £250... EACH!

So it doesn't matter how much you spend, the likelihood is drilled discs will crack and need replacing before the equivalent grooved or plain versions.

If you're happy knowing that, then all's well and good. But due to this, manufacturers will very rarely warranty drilled discs.

I advise anyone who orders though me about my experience, but if the customer is happy to go ahead, then no problem here. :)

Edited by FreakyParts

Have to disagree with this I'm afraid.

I have used drilled discs in the past.

Started with Black Diamonds. They started with very fine cracking from the holes outwards. I replaced them with another set.

Second set of Black Diamonds (less than 18 months from the first set) eventually went the same way. I remember being in Cumbria on a rally and tyre kicking, one of the other owners asked if my discs were ok as there was a crack coming out from the hole and another one on the edge of the disc working its way towards the other.

It was a slow drive home!

I replaced them with a set of AP Racing 4 pot calipers with genuine AP racing 330x28mm discs.

DSCF0101.jpg

These lasted around 9 months before they started to crack from the holes. I even spent time looking after these and cleaning out the holes every week or 2 as well. Wasn't impressed as to replace them, they cost me £250... EACH!

So it doesn't matter how much you spend, the likelihood is drilled discs will crack and need replacing before the equivalent grooved or plain versions.

If you're happy knowing that, then all's well and good. But due to this, manufacturers will very rarely warranty drilled discs.

I advise anyone who orders though me about my experience, but if the customer is happy to go ahead, then no problem here. :)

Great post! Based on fact and not interweb myth.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.