What the the cons of 'Universal' exhaust systems / backbox

Well i'm looking at getting an exhaust but i always hear bad things about them so wasn't sure... Don't want to go out spending £500 on a system or £300 on a cat-back/backbox unless i really have to :)

If you get a custom exhaust made in a shop like longlife or powerflow all they use are universal exhaust parts. It's just the pipework is bent to follow the path under the car and then all welded together making it custom.

It's all about the quality. If you buy the cheapest you can find then it's not always the best option as you may find they leak at the welds after a period of time or lose their packing quickly.

So if you buy a quality universal exhaust then your fine, no problems. But if you buy too cheap then you have the problems above. But other than that you should be fine.

I quite like the magnaflow universal exhausts, they come with a lifetime warranty and have quite large welds not just a few dots on them like some exhausts. I've got a magnaflow middle box to go on mine at some point.

Edited by armoredfist2002

They do need welding on.

Depends on where you take it, some exhaust shops are dearer than others. Your better off having a look at what exhaust places are in your local area popping in and asking them before you do anything else, to get some prices and info.

Well i got quoted £350+VAT from the only custom exhaust place in Peterborough for a cat-back system.

E-mailed a company in Birmingham for another quote for just the back box.

If all else fails i might try the universal route and try to find someone compitant with welding exhausts or find a proffesional fitter who have a reasonable price.

There isn't much room between the axel and the bumper to fit a universal box, if you look at the standard exhaust you will see that the original box actual is located after the fuel tank but in front of the back axel, then it kinda exits centrally, the 140 has a bent section to exit at the bumper cut out.

The 190 has a small box before it exits the bumper cut out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.