Why the difference in tyre pressures ?

Toyota will test all tyre size options until they find the best pressure for each, to give the best MPG, grip, even wear and emissions.

Each size may even have a different recommended brand and model to each other.

But given this, the recommendations may not suit your terrain, climate and driving styles.

In Layman's terms, 32psi is a pretty good all round pressure for a Celica whatever the size, brand and driver.

I've never filled my tyres as high as 38 like it says for 205/45/17, the sticker on the door says 32 all round so never went above it really

38 is for above 100MPH mate

Presumably the lower the profile the higher the pressure as there is less tyre wall and air to absorb the potholes etc, but I stand to be corrected, again!

Hadn't really considered it on the change to 215s so would be interested on definitive answer Kev? Currently 32 all round for 1 up mixed motoring.

I think it's more that lower profile tyres offer more support on stiffer sidewalls and to combat the edge wear that this would create, increasing the pressure would put more load into the middle band of the tyre. The width would also be a factor.

And by that reckoning the 215's would be slightly higher again?

its to do with the angle and quantity of the plys within the tyre if you really must know , the sidewall of a tyre works as a shock absorber , get the pressure wrong and that bad boys gunna flex or have its profile altered ( bowing toward run flats ) and thus will have reduced grip , more likelyhood of aquaplaning and increased tread wear

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.