need help with 205/215 sizing of tyres (already searched for answers but want to know which ones would be more ideal )

Guys ,

Ive spent a while sorting out searches for tyres on here but my situation has changed now as ive been given a nice corporate bonus for all my efforts at work this year so my couple of questions to you guys :

Ive chose to get falken 914s after looking at loads of reviewsJ

* do I get two falken 914s or a full set of 4 falken 914s tyres (as I currently have 2 x falken 912s half worn down)

*And which size should I get ? should I go for standard 205/45/17 or 215/45/17 and what would be the advantages of both sizes (next year I will be planning to lower the car but not until next year whether 215s will be much better I don’t know )

*And also if I was to purchase brake pads /discs etc from freakyparts what else would be needed for a replacement (anything else I would need to get hold of ?)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if the 2x 912s are legal, there's no real harm in saving some money and just buying 2x 914s.... then getting 2 more then the 912s wear out. But then it is good to have brand new rubber all over.... so if you can afford that, it might be worth it.

215/45 will be 10mm wider than 205/45, so you will get a little extra rim protection, but a very slightly bigger rolling radius, but a little more comfort.

I'd go for 215/45 as it's a bit less harsh on bumpy roads

Edited by InsolentMinx

215/45/17

Good:

Fills the arches better

Softer ride

More rim protection from kerbing

Bad:

Slight loss of acceleration due to larger rolling radius

With your model, you would need to buy four, instead of two 205/45/17

HTH :)

215/45/17

Good:

Fills the arches better

Softer ride

More rim protection from kerbing

Bad:

Slight loss of acceleration due to larger rolling radius

With your model, you would need to buy four, instead of two 205/45/17

HTH :)

ok kev im no kerb crawler lol , it would be greater if i could get extra rubber , does it really have a larger effect on acceleration , so if i was to get 4x 215s they would be much better than the original 205s and do you lose 5mph difference with speed cameras etc as well.

With the larger rolling radius, your Speedo is going to be more accurate than with 205/45.

I could tell a slight difference in acceleration with the larger tyre, but with your VVTi-L, it will be even less noticeable than my VVTi.

I have a 140 with 215/45R17 and to be honest I haven't noticed an acceleration loss.

Comfort is better and when driving with Sat Nav I noticed that the MPH is actually closer to each other.

I've got 215/40/17's (Goodyear F1 GSD3 directionals) on my 140. Fantastic tyres in the wet and take standing water in their stride and great in the dry, but I find them very bumpy owing to the low sidewalls. In hindsight I should have gone for 45's, as the 40's look a bit lost in the arches. I do find they are very sensitive to pressures tho and even 1 or 2 PSI difference on a corner (I've found 31 psi all round is good) can make it feel 'wrong'.

Edited by Slugster

I've got 215/40/17's (Goodyear F1 GSD3 directionals) on my 140. Fantastic tyres in the wet and take standing water in their stride and great in the dry, but I find them very bumpy owing to the low sidewalls. In hindsight I should have gone for 45's, as the 40's look a bit lost in the arches. I do find they are very sensitive to pressures tho and even 1 or 2 PSI difference on a corner (I've found 31 psi all round is good) can make it feel 'wrong'.

i see a few people on the net have said that very thing with 40s as to 45s

I have 225/45 17 Dunlop sp01's on mine at the moment and the wet and dry grip is unreal compared to the nankang ns2's I had on the 215/35 18's but I'm finding the tyres look massive now. The ride is a lot smoother now though. But the car looks 'lower' because there's less arch gap

i was looking today when i washed the works van , that has 215s on that and they do look a bit better than the 205s with all the extra rubber , ive sent a email to one of my local tyre dealers as they can do the falken 914s (not eco run) and ive asked if i got a full set of 215/45/17s can they give me a great deal as its looking at 340 quid including wheel alignment as well afterwoods .

ive looked at places like camskill etc but only trouble is the garage has said they can fit other tyres that ive purchased but for no less than 15 quid per wheel including wheel balancing but thats 60 quid just for that fitment whereas they gave me a quote for the 205s - 80.29 per corner inc vat + tracking total 340 quid ( i believe the 215s should be a little bit more cheaper ) but if i bought from this place :

http://www.tyredrive.co.uk/tyre.php?tyre=215%2F45r17+falken+ze914+91w+xl&did=1

x 4 - 276 inc delivery for 4 + 60 quid for garage fitting - 336 quid (4 pound difference ) so i think it would be easier to get them for the 340 and if any issues theres the garage i can take the car back to

what would you guys do?

Edited by celica1977

Ouch, yeah that's going to work out lower profile than 205 45.

i was looking today when i washed the works van , that has 215s on that and they do look a bit better than the 205s with all the extra rubber , ive sent a email to one of my local tyre dealers as they can do the falken 914s (not eco run) and ive asked if i got a full set of 215/45/17s can they give me a great deal as its looking at 340 quid including wheel alignment as well afterwoods .

ive looked at places like camskill etc but only trouble is the garage has said they can fit other tyres that ive purchased but for no less than 15 quid per wheel including wheel balancing but thats 60 quid just for that fitment whereas they gave me a quote for the 205s - 80.29 per corner inc vat + tracking total 340 quid ( i believe the 215s should be a little bit more cheaper ) but if i bought from this place :

x 4 - 276 inc delivery for 4 + 60 quid for garage fitting - 336 quid (4 pound difference ) so i think it would be easier to get them for the 340 and if any issues theres the garage i can take the car back to

what would you guys do?

Just put some tyres on my car & not faff about for months :lol:

what would you guys do?

The reason the quote for fitting only seems high is to try and get more people ordering tyres from them as well instead of turning up for just the fitting, the internet is hitting all sorts of places and they find it hard to compete with online prices per tyre because they have to count in their overheads.

Just get the garage to put some on and then you can stop worrying about it :D

Why don't you just get a pair of 215/45 for the rear, and if you don't get any traction/stability lights illuminating.."jobs a good 'un". More comfort with the larger side wall rears, more use out of your existing 205/45's on the front, and you won't be shaving a couple of tenths off your 0-60.

If a warning light does come on, just get two more 215/45's in the same brand.

That's what I'd do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.