I dont really know where to post this.... Please have a look :)

Ooh I don't know what to do. I have just sold my runabout blue Gen 7 140 vvti after owning it for nearly three years, and I need to buy a car to use on a day to day basis.I have got a red Gen 7 GT in the garage that only comes out on sunny weekends, but do need something as a daily runner to work and back. There are two cars that I like. One is a Gen 4 red E reg celica GT, the drivers seat is a bit tatty but the exterior looks fantastic with no rust or paint fade, which is fantastic for a 25 year old car. I am a sucker for the shape of the Gen 4 and the pop up lights, it reminds me of the C reg one that I owned years ago which I absolutely loved, or the other car is a gen 6 that I have seen advertised on the for sale section of this club website, which looks absolutely stunning from the photos. I just don't know what to do or which would be best for a daily drive car. The wife said Gen 6, coz it is newer and would be safer to take the kids in but I think it is just coz she likes the gen 6 shape. I have attached some pictures of the Gen 4, but I really don't know which car would be best????? Any thoughts or ideas welcome please.

Edited by Bully0712

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmmm.........difficult choice! I too LOVE the gen 4 shape but as they get older it's more difficult to source parts on a regular basis.....I also love the looks of a Gen6........build quality on those is very good....decisions, decisions! :)

I love the gen 4 but they are getting old now and deserve a better life than commuting

Buy a gen 6 they are the cheapest gen at the moment, they are the best built and most reliable also

And they are so cheap you cant loose money on them

I love the gen 4 but they are getting old now and deserve a better life than commuting

Buy a gen 6 they are the cheapest gen at the moment, they are the best built and most reliable also

And they are so cheap you cant loose money on them

This man knows what he is talking about.

I know what you mean Briano about the commuting with the gen 4 it would be a shame, but I remember the times I had so much fun with my gen 4. I think I will probably end up going your way with the gen 6. I will see how many more votes it gets lol.

Brian GT I am glad you understand my Dilemma mate. Lol

I know what you mean Briano about the commuting with the gen 4 it would be a shame, but I remember the times I had so much fun with my gen 4. I think I will probably end up going your way with the gen 6. I will see how many more votes it gets lol.

Brian GT I am glad you understand my Dilemma mate. Lol

I do understand your dilemna mate, but as an aside, I seem to be covering serious mileage in a Gen 1 that makes me think that a Gen 4 is the New Kid on the block! :lol:

Yes please Matt. It is greatly appreciated.Cheers.

Dublet, I cant find a decent gen 5 anywhere in the price range.

I have also had a gen 6 before Arizona and we did use it everyday and the only problem we ever had with it was a lambda sensor so I get where you are coming from.

Cheers all :)

I do understand your dilemna mate, but as an aside, I seem to be covering serious mileage in a Gen 1 that makes me think that a Gen 4 is the New Kid on the block! :lol:

Big respect to you covering all them miles in a gen 1, it just shows that if you look after a car well enough it will serve you forever, and it also just goes to show how well toyotas engineering was back then as appose to the sticky business of car recalls they seem to put out now days and the 140 death rattle.

I have a gen 5 for sale ;)

Is it on here?

Edited by Bully0712

Is it on here?

pm'd details as requested

no not on here or advertised as a gen 5 member was due to look at today so had held off, but has had to pull out unfortunately, another member also had to pull out before seeing due to their other car issues also a few weeks ago or i'm sure it wouldnt be available now

Why are some many poeple are against a 4 as a daily , my old one was rusty as fook , an mechanically retarded and it done 2 and half years as a daily , parts are easy to get , eBay , fennies , and the club , I even bought a thermostat off the shelf at halfords !!!!!

I over us my dailys as I use them as a works car know , they do the school run , shopping run , and get battered around a 150 multi collection stops for work a week and what do I drive , a gen 5 !!!

If you find a good 4 it would be better than finding a shit gen 6

To add so beef to your argument , you will find the 4 is safer as they are built like a ruddy tank , I think the front bumper bar is made of concrete :)

Body wise it's all about the rust , but if the one you have found is solid then that's a win for a start , add some additional rust prevention and jobs a good un

The oily bits are nearly all the same , gen 4 , 5 and 6 are all just evolutions of each other , basic same engine , gearbox and running gear

And the kids will think you are cool in a 4 , pop ups ftw

I agree with sonic if you have found a gen 4 with rust free body then your on to a good thing.

The 4 is a good strong motor i have a 162 vert a 165 also a gen 5 182 and they all have their likes and dislikes.

The gen4s can be very reliable i myself have done just over 30,000 miles in just over 3 years in mine which includes a trip to south wales every month from surrey if you look after them they look after you ! i have however also got a 202 import too at the moment !

And tbh , it won't take long before a gen 4 will be worth more than the 7 gt

Especially as practical classics have just done a buyers guide on them as a classic daily driver , my agreed value is £2000 but that could be going up at some point

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.