Remote key fob gone nuts help please?

Guest MR JDM

Guest MR JDM

Hi all hoping you can help me before I end up hitting my car very hard with a hammer or similar please :)

Up until today my Remote central locking has worked well apart from in winter when it had a strop because it was cold (breathed on it and it was fine)

Right now today I was out swapping the seats back over along with Paul refitting the g7 seats and all was fine all lectrics were working fine

Now I've just got back home, got out of the car and pushed the button on the fob to lock it and ...... nothing

No light or anything on the fob, For some reason the key won't turn in the locks either (both doors but still opens the boot)

Would it be related to any wires anywhere under the seats anyone have any ideas at all?

I've tried starting the car and all is fine again, the doors are locking from the inside with the drivers side button on the doorcard but nothing from the fob at all?

Any help gratefully appreciated please :)

Cheers

Ryan

Guest MR JDM

Ok cheers I'll try that first. I was just trying to figure I've got 2 fobs and neither work although I've been told apparently one didn't work before :)

Guess I'll try that first :)

Usually the spare fobs won't work,they have a poo memory an need to be reconfigured to use.if it's been left in the draw for a good time. Try battery first like said above. Is it a factory system or aftermarket jobby? Bloody smartphone, should be called stupidphones

Edited by matyb

Just had another thought the key may not work in the doors because the locks are seized up from lack of use, so some WD40 or similar sprayed into the lock may help. :think:

Otherwise my first thought (as per FB) was a possible electrical issue with the central locking being stuck in 'open' mode. :think:

Or as above fob battery if the light's not working on the fob.

Guest MR JDM

I believe it's the standard Toyota 5000 system made it's likely to be that by Scorpion so yeah maybe it's the battery first.

How do you mean stuck in open mode Chris?

Try this to see if your fob key is working.... turn your camera on, and point your fob key to lens an push the button on y ur fob, if you see a light should be like a dark red flare, its working.... if you see nowt then you need new battery or your fobs knackered:-)

Guest MR JDM

Perfect cheers buddy I'll try that :)

Edit just tried it and nothing on either fob.

Looks like a new battery :)

Can anyone confirm it's a CR2025 ? ?

Edited by MR JDM

Guest MR JDM

Thanks for the comments / help folks it's appreciated.

Ipopped over to Tesco today to grab a battery (for some reason mine's a MN21 / A23 battery as opposed to the generic watch type battery as suggested in the Gen 6 security thread I looked in yesterday and it's seemingly sorted itself out.

I did think it was related to the seats so I apologise for doubting you Paul I should know better I know ;)

So for 4 quid I've now got 2 keys with working fobs so all is good again with Daisy May :)

Thanks again

Yeah tried resyncing them but nothing! There the original fobs as well.

They stopped working once before for a while but then one day started working again but then since stopping again they've never worked since

I had a fob that was apparently knackered, In a moment of madness (more like boredom) I changed the battery for about the 10th time but used a duracell CR2032 one rather than the Fleabay ones and 'Hey presto' it sprun to life. Went out to the car, stood by the drivers door, pressed both buttons at the same time, held for 10 seconds and Bingo, it locked and unlocked the car.

Now every now and again it loses itself, so I go through the procedure as above and it always comes back in line.

There the battery's I stuck in just in case it was down to crappy battery's that weren't powerfull enough but still no locking or unlocking!

Anyone any ideas what could be wrong?? Or is it dead forever :-(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.