M.O.T...How was yours?

R.C

Thought i'd start this as it does get mentioned amongst threads, MOT time. We don't exactly look forward to it and we all have to go through it year after year so why not share your thoughts and experience with your MOT here, when its due, gone though, pass or fail, discuss in here.

I wasn't aware that mine was even due this time around as life has just been a little busy of late, it was only when I went to tax my car yesterday that I noticed it was due 28th. "Oooops, that crept up". Got up this morning and thought just get on with it, get it booked, therefore if there is a fail I have the week to get it sorted.

In she goes at 12 midday, not washed, not checked over, just throw her in the deep end....

20130323_121343_zpse144c6f8.jpg

20130323_121528_zps95ab8076.jpg

20130323_122745_zpsbac01c4b.jpg

Gone well, really well in fact! His quote "she's a credit to you, Its not often we see cars in this good a condition".

All good, brakes, suspension, tyres, no issues with exhaust emissions/noise, spi eye on head lights basically no issues. Got my pass with no advisories!

Who says you can't do it yourself, its certainly payed off for me.

20130323_131618_zps9523fa7a.jpg

Had to wait around for final 20mins before it could log off as it needed no further looking at. My opportunity to have a look around. So took this...

PicsArt_1364076820579_zpsc518e202.jpg

I over looked it when I had it fitted lol.

Happy dayz :D :D :D

Same as yourself, passed and with flying colours - but it's a family friends business I go to so its more a chance for meh to give my motor the once over than anything official lol :)

...glad that she passed Chris...although, was that ever in doubt? A fine looking motor you have there...a credit to you...you just know I'm jealous of your skill (and imagination) when it comes to improvements... :)...

Thanks Simon, no can't say I was worried about it to be fair as the last one was just as good a result just with one advisory which was brake pads being low, but there is always that little doubt looming each time it comes around.

I can't take all the credit as you know its Steve whos out there getting his hands dirty in all weathers with the tougher jobs including his own. Its his turn next lol. :)

Long story but worth telling:-

When I brought my gen 5 in January it had a recent MOT fail and a pass from a week later, from October 2012.

A few weeks after buying I took the car to a garage because I needed someone to certify that it has an alarm, for my insurance company.

The only way the garage would do this was if I paid them something. They wanted £20 but as they were advertising MOTs at £25 I took one of them instead, thinking that I would push my MOT expiry back a few months with the extra fiver.

With hindsight it was predictable that the car would fail and it did on the same things the first of the original MOTs failed on. Maybe the repairs that got it throughout the MOT the second time weren't done very well?

Anyway, I'm now in a dilemma - I've got the MOT pass which the car came with, which is valid until October, and a more recent fail. Is the car road legal? So I rang VOSA and they confirmed that as long as a car has an in-date MOT it is legal until it expires and it is not superseded if you have another MOT that fails in the meantime.

The fails are now being repaired (for the second time, I presume) in preparation for October's re-test.

Well done with the mot .. always get a funny feeling in the pit of my gut when its time for mine... passed last time and no advisorys.. :)

Go to the same garage as I take my Bandit motorcycle. ..the dudes likes bikes so he is more than fair with the can I got on the bandit ;)

Wow that was sh1t Askari, sounds to me like the garage pulled a fast one.

Do hear a lot of things like this happening and its wrong which is why I only use indipendent MOT stations as they gain nothing from failing the car, in actual fact its better for them if it passes.

I find it hard to trust any garage as being around them long enough over the years have seen what can go on.

The Test centre I use is a very clean garage too which is always good to see in my book.

You were right to contact VOSA to have it checked out for your own piece of mind, think I would have done the same. Hope next time is different for you.

Well done with the mot .. always get a funny feeling in the pit of my gut when its time for mine... passed last time and no advisorys.. :)

Go to the same garage as I take my Bandit motorcycle. ..the dudes likes bikes so he is more than fair with the can I got on the bandit ;)

Cheers,

Same, the guys at our place are the same with our bikes, took mine in an he made me an offer to buy it lol. Took him aprox 5mins to complete that test, flew it. As for the mille, fair on that can too considering its stupid loud and has 'not for road use and for race use only' stamped on it in a few places lol :thumbs:

My mot isnt due til september :) but it will be my first mot with sooty :( i hate taking mine in the fear it wont pass :( but my red celica i had never failed :) not even when it was dripping oil all over there clean floor ( the oil pump seal was leaking but we fixed it after mot )

mie isnt until october this year , luckily i bought it with a full years mot and ive cheked the history and if it had failed it was mainly on rear tyres ..

and tbh ive had a 14 year old vauxhall that passed everytime for the last 5 years so im sure the 03 tsport will be great.

Edited by celica1977

Well our garage normally sends out a reminder that the MOT is due. We went to Thailand in January, parked the missus's Celica up at Heathrow, and came back middle of February. Yesterday I was thinking about the MOT and checked - it ran out in January!!!! So we have been running around without an MOT for weeks - phone call to the garage this morning and its booked in for next week - their next available slot - they don't understand why we didn't get a reminder. Bloody glad we didn't get stopped!!!

Car now parked up in the driveway and my Celica will be used until its sorted - then I will probably take mine off the road as we don't need two cars, and as mine is a gen 5 its feeling a bit tired compared to the gen 190

I'm dreading my mot next month as i have supercharged her and not sure if she will pass emissions/noise etc but i will take it down and see what happens :)

If your unsure you could always pop it down to an mot station ealier and just have a chat with them and see what they say regarding your chances before booking it in.

If your unsure you could always pop it down to an mot station ealier and just have a chat with them and see what they say regarding your chances before booking it in.

yeah I will prob go and have a chat I was going to use Kwik fit as there doing £25 mot but guess they would be strict , i have a full decat system so I might have to put the standard system back on for emissions . If it fails I have got ten days to change it all n it's due on the 23rd so I will book her in for a few weeks before just in case :)

Cheers

Whatever you do dont go to kwikfit , far better to use a small independant

I normally take both my cars there n they pass first time around well apart from a bloody wiper blade lol , but now I have heavily modded my Celica I suppose it won't be the best place to take it.

I will have a call around at the weekend and see if I can find a 1 man band or something lol

Cheers :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.