Paints gone bubbly ?

The paint on my car admittedly is crap, but none the less I still keep her clean and polish when we have good days, doing some work on the car today and I noticed this on my passenger door and on the front edge of my bonnet ? It must have happened recently as I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't like it the last time I washed it. Any one have any idea what may have caused this ?

IMG_20130105_142317.jpg

Edited by Viva La Bloke

That is strange over such a spread area. Does it feel bumpy to touch

Very lol

Normally rust will cause the paint bubble up, Any break in the paint work at all?

Not that I can see, it's done it informs of the headlights on the bumper aswell though so can't be that ?

Might take it to a bodyshop Monday see what they say ?

If its not rust then I would suggest its been in contact with some form of chemical that it really hasn't agreed with - the fact that it is small bumps all over the place is really strange. Unfortunately you wont find out if there's anything sinister going on underneath unless you rub the paint back.

Very unlikely to be rust over such a large area...are there any signs of a previous repair on these areas?

As said the paint on the car is crap a few areas look like they've been poorly rattle canned (previous owner I'd like to add lol) so I wouldn't be surprised if this areas been spray by aerosol cans ?

It's a 95 M reg got bad lacquer peel on the driver side rear quarter aswell :-( why are full resprays so damn expensive lol

I would say the laquer on the other ares is starting to go too :( silver, red and the weirder dark greens and blues seem to peel pretty bad :(

depends really but a respray could be £500 or £5000

I can get a full car for £500 done properly but i need to strip and mask the car for him

when i had back wing resprayed the same thing happened, but bigger bubbles, its the paint used as suggested. best thing is to have it cut back to metal

and start again, all my paint work that has been done is all good.

This is caused by water.

Who ever sprayed your car didn't have a working or very good element filter or a clean air line. Basically the air from the compressor is from the atmosphere. It contains condensation. The same air is blown down the lines to power the air gun which paints your car.

The water in the air is mixed with the paint. After the layers of primer and base paint then clear coat, you have water trapped in your paint work.

Over time it would expand and contract and because the water can't escape, it creates this chicken skin effect.

This is caused by water.

Who ever sprayed your car didn't have a working or very good element filter or a clean air line. Basically the air from the compressor is from the atmosphere. It contains condensation. The same air is blown down the lines to power the air gun which paints your car.

The water in the air is mixed with the paint. After the layers of primer and base paint then clear coat, you have water trapped in your paint work.

Over time it would expand and contract and because the water can't escape, it creates this chicken skin effect.

Ray....that's what I meant about frost....the cold weather then the sun the heat cycles cause the water to bubble....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.