track day car [advice needed]

jamespheely

right... to help with my need for speed I am toying with the idea of getting a cheap car to take on track days. In terms of reliability and speed a cheap Gen 6 GT is top of my list. However what are the laws of just using this car for track days? i.e. tax and insurance? I know tax laws have changed recently and have no idea what the rules are for just using a car on the track or for a single day here and there.

Can I declare a car as sorn and still park in on my street? if it is sorned does it still need to be insured?

I have no doubt these are stupid questions but if anyone can shed some light on it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If a car is sorn'd it must be kept off road.

Iv turned/turning my celica into a trackcar but keeping it road legal with tax, mot and insurance so can drive to track and back.

If you just want to use the car purely on a track then you can either keep it road legal and have to tax, insure and mot it everytime you need to drive it to a track or buy a trailer and tow vehicle and get it to track and back that way.

I would say its going to be cheaper to keep it taxed ,insured and mot'd and then just drive it

unfortunately if you intend to keep it on the street ie outside your house it must be taxed & insured & therefore mot'd

this is the part of the law that really pees me off,i find it very discriminatory that just coz i can't afford a house that has off-road parking i am forced to keep my car taxed & insured etc otherwise risk prosecution.if its not being driven then whats the problem with it being outside my property i'm no more likely to use it that anyone else.

hows about getting a trailer & leaving on that outside your house? could be cheaper than a insurance tax etc & gives you the opportunity to mess with slicks/wets without having to worry about mot requirements etc if you where driving there :)

gen 6GT is a great car to begin with, keep it road legal and if you buy an older battered looking one you can probably get it on a calssica policy.

next steps are to strip out all the interior and sound deadning, sound system (you wont hear it after the interior is gone) carpets, spare, and the car will feel a million times better all the above is for free and might even make you a few bob if someone is looking for interior trims.

next is when you start spending money.

coilovers will be expensive but come up 2nd hand

rear strut brace transforms the car

better brakes as like the gen 7 the brakes really are made of cheese on a gen 6 but GT4 brakes can be made to fit

my advice is look for an early ssii or ssiii with superstrut as this feels even better when driven hard

my track 6 is superstrut and the 6 i drive daily is mac and mac feels rotten ;)

I always found it cheaper to just tax and mot my track car. Then I got a limited milage insurance policy with say 3000miles on so you can drive it to work the odd time so you can keep her nice and supple.

so true. unless you are doing a track day every couple of weeks then it won't like the lack of use. i use my track car once a week for work at least when its not being worked on, just to keep the "juices flowing" so to speak.

ignore any modification whatsoever until you've uprated the brake fluid. FIRST thing that should be done IMHO (as long as the car is mechanically sound of course)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.