Angry at comments about the car.

I've got a Gen 7 140bhp with 140,000 on the clock. I've done a service when I bought the car, and have looked after it endlessly.

Here she is:

vda0G.jpg

But I'm forever hearing off my parents:

"Bloody hell be careful when you put your foot down - that engine's done a lot of miles",

and

"Oh god Ger don't do that! The engine's going to go bang with the mileage on it!".

Excuse the language mods, but it's fucking pissing me off.

I don't drive like an idiot and only put my foot down when there's a time and a place. I agree there's some truth in his words, that a higher mileage has to be looked after - but I DO look after it. What he's talking about is never hitting the red line, never going into high revs. It feels as if I should sell up right now, and spend god knows how long all over again saving for another damn car with lower mileage on it.

I was in a cruddy situation when it came to finance for years - I'm not now and FINALLY have the car I wanted. I was paranoid when buying a higher mileage car, but took comfort to people off here. So agreed it's higher mileage but I love it. Now I'm having it shoved down my throat that I shouldn't go putting my foot down in a sports car because of this?!

Normally I wouldn't care, but I wanted this car for years, went through a horrendous break up with a long relationship girlfriend, got back on my feet with money and now that I finally have my pride and joy that I've wanted for god knows how long, it's like it's being shit all over because of this.

So angry.

Edited by geraintthomas

Well that's what I keep thinking - but the oil is always kept on top of, and I've changed the air filter, spark plugs to iridiums, oil and filter change, flushed the engine with sea foam, cleaned the maf, run it on V-power and use Castrol GTX whenever I can. Surely that's fine?!

140,000 that's barely run in, 207,000 and never missed a beat and I think I've got plenty of life still and I've got big plans for it still .

Really?? How does the engine sound? Any rebuilds in its life?

My 140 2004 has 108k ish on it and I drive it just as I did when I got it with 80k on it...It's there to be used and be used it will! :D as long as Its allowed to warm up before giving a hoof full and you take care of it i don't see a problem :)

Any car, with any mileage has the potential to go tits up on you if you are thrashing it - hell even if you are being gentle on it things can fail. If it's going to happen then you won't get away from it - admittedly mileage and age put your motor in a bracket where the possibility is higher - no point in living under a cloud, keep thinking like that and you'll never want to turn the key on it "incase it breaks"

It's your car, you love it - so bloody enjoy it! And if it breaks then you can just learn to enjoy fixing it like the rest of us have had to when the automotive gremlins get their way ;)

No repairs, no mechanical failures- just the pas cooler pipe, I bought it on 20,000 miles and I'm still on original clutch and exhaust. I built another engine when I hit 150,000 but it's not been fitted yet as the original engine is still going strong.

I had a 96 wrx Scooby, fully tuned and everyone was moaning at me saying it was 11 years old and its going give up ghost, but it never had any problems once. Seems like you know how to look after ur gen 7, keep it up and let's hope you don't have any problems, but the moment you do, you will see everyone like a bunch of vultures saying it told you so!

Dont live in fear of your car giving up on you, there is nothing that money can't fix on a car, so go and enjoy your gen7 to the max

See :xmas_laugh: take no notice of them, enjoy your car.

The owner of the farm where i live hates jap cars and is a Jaguar fan, he's relented now as he's seen how reliable mine have been while his brit cars have done nothing but let him down :xmas_biggrin: , actually admitted they were rather good a couple of months back and now his son has bought a classic Supra so we now have four Toyotas parked in the carpark with the (currently broken down) Jag :xmas_laugh:

Just turn round and say

"Just coz you and mum are high mileage in your age, and can't perform at the high revs per minute you used too .. doesn't mean my car can't"

:hysterical: Gimba you're a gem

Geraint can you get a pic of their faces when you say this :xmas_laugh:

I had a 96 wrx Scooby, fully tuned and everyone was moaning at me saying it was 11 years old and its going give up ghost, but it never had any problems once. Seems like you know how to look after ur gen 7, keep it up and let's hope you don't have any problems, but the moment you do, you will see everyone like a bunch of vultures saying it told you so!

Dont live in fear of your car giving up on you, there is nothing that money can't fix on a car, so go and enjoy your gen7 to the max

Good bit of advice, nice one :)

See :xmas_laugh: take no notice of them, enjoy your car.

The owner of the farm where i live hates jap cars and is a Jaguar fan, he's relented now as he's seen how reliable mine have been while his brit cars have done nothing but let him down :xmas_biggrin: , actually admitted they were rather good a couple of months back and now his son has bought a classic Supra so we now have four Toyotas parked in the carpark with the (currently broken down) Jag :xmas_laugh:

Ohhhh, gutted! The build quality on Jap cars is outstanding though :o

Just turn round and say

"Just coz you and mum are high mileage in your age, and can't perform at the high revs per minute you used too .. doesn't mean my car can't"

LMFAO! If I said this I wouldn't see my ass for dust.

No repairs, no mechanical failures- just the pas cooler pipe, I bought it on 20,000 miles and I'm still on original clutch and exhaust. I built another engine when I hit 150,000 but it's not been fitted yet as the original engine is still going strong.

This has definitely made me feel a hell of a lot better about my car. Cheers guys, you've been fantastic :)

102K, 21-years old and still drive it like I stole it! Redlined almost every time I take it out and still comes back for more.

Just stay on top of the maintenance, stick to the service schedule for parts, regular oil changes with good quality, correct grade oil and the car will love you back! :D

"Look after a car and it'll look after you" is what I've always stuck to.

They do know about the oil problem but know that it's fine when it's kept on top of. My mother doesn't drive, and she only says things now and again like "Shouldn't you take more care with a car with that mileage?". It's my Dad that's the worst...

He drives a VW Passat TDI 130 with 240,000 miles on the clock. He puts his foot down but doesn't red line it. Ugh, the cheek.

VAG drivers :rolleyes:

Tbh they're just looking out for you and don't want you to end up hurt or worse should there be a catastrophic failure.

My mum still moans at me if I do 72 on the motorway...

21 year old Gen 5, 166k on the clock and still loving redline :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.