Engine blown

ArgoS

Well this is jolly start to the Christmas season as my conrod has just come out the side of the engine. What a time for this to happen :( NOT WANTING AT ALL :( Still look on the bright side my interior light still works :)

It's a 3s-fe running standard apart from K&N air filter. It really has been a great engine and has only just done over a 100,000 mile. I dont know if it had anything to do with it but i hit a large puddle i couldnt avoid on a dual carrageway just minutes before then after stopping i reved the engine and BANG! I've sourced a engine with only 40 odd thousand mile which im debating wether to get or not, funds really are tight at this time of year. Does anyone know exactly what i would need to do inorder to change it to a 3s-ge, would the ecu fit straight on the wiring loom for instance? I really am GUTTED :(

I'd take a wild guess at hydrolock, you more than likely sucked up some water through the air intake, the engine then can't compress it so the piston has to go somewhere, in your case out the side of the block :(

Edited by rpsmith79

Not good, big puddles can cause all sorts of issues from hydrolock and the sudden decrease in wheel speed etc

As for changing to a 3SGE, it might be easier to buy a GT and transfer over any bits then break/scrap yours

horrible to read this but even before you said it i was certain it was a 3sfe engine

what Hou says is your best bet and will probably lower your insurance too, you can pick up a half decent GT for between £400-£800 which is going to be around the same as either replaceing the 3sfe engine or the minimum to upgrade to a 3sge

to up grade to the 3sge engine you need a complete engine, loom, ecu, clocks you will probably be better at that point fitting the GT discs and callipers etc.........which is why Hou is right :D

horrible to read this but even before you said it i was certain it was a 3sfe engine

what Hou says is your best bet and will probably lower your insurance too, you can pick up a half decent GT for between £400-£800 which is going to be around the same as either replaceing the 3sfe engine or the minimum to upgrade to a 3sge

to up grade to the 3sge engine you need a complete engine, loom, ecu, clocks you will probably be better at that point fitting the GT discs and callipers etc.........which is why Hou is right :D

Yey for me being right :)

You should buy my GT, I give you good price looky looky

That is bad luck

but have to agree with above about the cost of swapping engine

when you can pick up one as late reg as this for this money

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-Toyota-Celica-Coupe-1998cc-Petrol-/321024043622?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4abe862a66

Edited by arizona

Cheers everyone for your Great reply’s but the Great news is i have bought the engine with just over 40,000 mile on it for £400.00 inc delivery and will do a straight swap out :) Never even entered my mind about the hydro lock :( Also @Planc it's a K&N induction kit that is fitted which i will also be changing. The thing is i was in the inside lane with a car on my outside so i had nowhere to go but through the fairly deep puddle :( Thanks again everyone I LOVE MY CAR and just could never face scrapping it.

Cheers everyone for your Great reply’s but the Great news is i have bought the engine with just over 40,000 mile on it for £400.00 inc delivery and will do a straight swap out :) Never even entered my mind about the hydro lock :( Also @Planc it's a K&N induction kit that is fitted which i will also be changing. The thing is i was in the inside lane with a car on my outside so i had nowhere to go but through the fairly deep puddle :( Thanks again everyone I LOVE MY CAR and just could never face scrapping it.

best of luck with the swap and hope your back on the road quickly :thumbs:

Just a quick update: This engine with a hole in and a smashed to pieces conrod still starts and runs. Now if that isn’t a testament to how good these cars are I don't know what is. Thank you Toyota

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.