Wet sanding / Polishing up headlights?

Hi guys as titled I am wanting to wet sand my headlight lenses to get rid of a slight yellowing.

What grade wet and dry is it recommended to start and finish on for best results. And would any decent cut polish ie t-cut work to finish off?? Or would g200 / g300 etc be better first ?

Thanks

Sounds mad but the gritty cheap toothpaste. It has a polishing effect and the baking powder really helps to clean them. Check you tube out for videos. Hoohoohoblin has a vid of it.

Edited by Devious

Plast x mate all the way. I got mine looking like glass just with plast x

Before

21312f92.jpg

After

54367984.jpg

1B1E5510-D1FF-4131-8682-4598DF445AE9-3671-0000044B6FF63D3C.jpg

Takes a bit of hard work and elbow grease I spent a good couple of hours doing it but the results are worth it

i used autoglym paint restorer then proshine polish sometimes called greased lightning worked for me. this is also great for polishing paintwork can use on dirty cars but i don't i always wash and leather first.

Thanks guys I had real quick go with the remains of a bottle of safe cut i had. Seemed to improve slightly but light was fading last night so hard to tell. So looks like sanding wont be ness I will just have another with something a bit coarser next ie some g3 from work. May have crack with the machine polisher as well?

I tried some 2500grit on a gash set of headlights I had lying around that had some bad yellowing, fucked em up and went opaque. I imagine the next week or so of graft goin higher an higher and then using compounds and then polishes will get there, or you could just use plastiX to begin with! :thumbs:

I'm surprised this has happened on a 6 as they are glass lenses, I've seen it done on 7's before and other more modern cars with plastic lense covers.

Are you sure it is not on the inside of the lense where there can be a condensation build up and then you can get a very fine mould build up.

I'm surprised this has happened on a 6 as they are glass lenses, I've seen it done on 7's before and other more modern cars with plastic lense covers.

Are you sure it is not on the inside of the lense where there can be a condensation build up and then you can get a very fine mould build up.

Ah I see u have me mistaken Tis not on my 6 Tis on my other car. I just new the 7 boys had similar probs so thought I would ask here.

P2000 paper, followed with liquid Brasso. I removed the Toyota logo from the black plastic bonnet grille on my Gen' 5, so it should work just as well on your lights.

Find an old worn CD case and practice the technique first to see if you're happy with the finished result.

Edited by Toy'Boy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.