what have you done to your celica today...

scott64

18 hours ago, Freeman558 said:

Painted some engine plastics

Maybe I should of used grey primer and not white... They look more pink than red in this picture.

IMG_20190707_175949_resized_20190707_060251953.thumb.jpg.56f04de12306c3b66bb3a9a4f5b6c728.jpg

But, this is just the base. Assuming I can pull off what I am going to try with these. Got it to work once so far out of a lot of attempts but running out of time so need to do it this week.

Of course, if it doesn't work then these plastics will be ruined and I will need to buy some more for the next attempt :(

I’m very curious to see the outcome mate :popcorn2:

• Like 1

On 08/07/2019 at 13:04, Wolfie said:

I’m very curious to see the outcome mate :popcorn2:

Unfortunately the outcome was kinda messy and I am not sure on the main piece right now but see how that ends up when it's fully dry.

Trying to get an even coat with a brush over semi-dried glue requires more practice. However, do have access to an old compressor which, if I can get working, might make the next attempt better.

IMG_20190709_181253_resized_20190709_061655502.jpg.31c4a58d54247c427897cdb9a5fe839b.jpg

On a seperate note, drove passed a Lexus SC with the same 3m Psychedlic wrap :(

Looking at alternative colours now.

Edited by Freeman558

Unfortunately the outcome was kinda messy and I am not sure on the main piece right now but see how that ends up when it's fully dry.
Trying to get an even coat with a brush over semi-dried glue requires more practice. However, do have access to an old compressor which, if I can get working, might make the next attempt better.
IMG_20190709_181253_resized_20190709_061655502.jpg.31c4a58d54247c427897cdb9a5fe839b.jpg

On a seperate note, drove passed a Lexus SC with the same 3m Psychedlic wrap [emoji20]

I think that looks cool......

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Freeman558 said:

Dude that looks epic! Please share your method! 

What have I done to mine today? Had two separate occasions when I had to take a watering can out to slosh off birdshit. Gotta look after the ceramic coating until the weekend when it should be fully cured and I can wash her  :blink:

2 hours ago, commandosqueak said:

Dude that looks epic! Please share your method! 

I'm afraid I can't. I mean I could tell you... But then you'd go and do a better job of it than me ;)

Oh ok, I'll tell you but only because it's you... and the fact that you could google crackle paint effect like I did and find out that way :D

Basically it's painting over semi-dry (waterbased) kids glue I used elmers but I think anything in the waterbased classroom glue has the same effect.

Water it down a bit, depending on the glue and paint it over the base colour (make sure the base colour has fully dried) then leave it to dry a bit (I left it for 15-20mins but I think I could of left it longer for a cleaner effect) then paint over with water based paint. I used Rustoleum Painters Touch gloss black.

I tried lots of rattlecans but they just can't put a thick enough layer down fast enough or they just don't react with the glue and separate/crackle so I used a tin of paint and a brush. The result is really rough but it worked more or less.

Hoping that the glue cures ok and isn't affected by the heat of an engine bay. Guess we'll find out when I get to Donington, could look a right mess by then. Might bring some spare plastics just in case :D

I pllan on getting some more plastics and doing this again when I have the compressor running and a spray gun.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Freeman558 said:

Martin, that is stunning mate. I wasn’t expecting that. :thumbs:

Re: Lexus

We can’t have that driving around on the manor :nono:

He was most probably just visiting someone and now he’s gutted because he’s seen a better car with the same wrap as his :lol:

17 hours ago, meirion said:

What have I done to mine today? Had two separate occasions when I had to take a watering can out to slosh off birdshit. Gotta look after the ceramic coating until the weekend when it should be fully cured and I can wash her  :blink:

I know exactly how you feel.

That’s the only reason why I have to keep mine under a car cover, the birds :brickwall:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Martin, that is stunning mate. I wasn’t expecting that. :thumbs:

Re: Lexus

We can’t have that driving around on the manor :nono:

He was most probably just visiting someone and now he’s gutted because he’s seen a better car with the same wrap as his :lol:

Thanks, these 3 came out ok but the main piece is... meh. Two minds on whether to put it on. Probably will but will definitely need another go at that piece.

Just hoping heat and glue don't cause a disaster. Got a few layers of lacquer on there today, will put a couple more on them tomorrow.

As for the Lexus, yeah the SC wasn't prettiest car Toyota ever made. But seeing another in Psychedilc was enough, I've already decided on the next colour  :D

Edited by Freeman558

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.