what have you done to your celica today...

scott64

• 2 weeks later...

Not really something I have done today, as while I was on holiday in France (I have just got back) I left my car with the body shop to have the rear near side quarter repaired (arch repairing, rot cut out of bottom part of rear wing and a small shaped plate welded into and filling the aerial hole on top of the wing). The body shop then passed my car to workshop next door, to fit the Hardrace trailing and control arms, with a assortment of Mr Toyota sourced bolts, washers and nuts, after that it was MOT time, which meant new rear handbrake pads, rear brake shoes, new discs and four tyres, all sorted for now with one or two advisories to attend to over the next couple of months. Couple of pictures of the new trailing and control arms in place, plus a couple of the old ones showing how rough they were. Photo's of the body work repairs to follow, when the body shop send them to me (he is a bit of a technophobe).

JzbQbR.jpg

g4yrEv.jpg

GQVTh8.jpg

459dGC.jpg

AzjuEA.jpg

Edited by white301266
wrong photo

started swapping all the running gear out of my old shell into it,s new home. rear end done with propshaft, engine dropped and ready to be swapped on monday when i have a day off. :thumbsup: 

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 12:20, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Yesterday:

The biannual ritual of the changing of the wheels; it's that time of year to get the winters off and put the summers on! 

Also had a quartet of brand new Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 fitted to the summer wheels yesterday so didn't even need to flex my own muscles this time, lucky it wasn't raining as the 'dry' winter wheels were taken home in the back of car. The young lads who did the fitting were very impressed with the Celi, they like interesting cars and appreciate vehicle cleanliness.

P1020428_zpsuu7wbgzo.jpg

Back at home i thoroughly washed and wax polished the winter wheels, before storing them safely away in the garage;

all ready for action come late next autumn.

P1020424_zpsx0y6zqqm.jpg

Crikey, can't believe 6 months has flashed past already!

Did we get a summer this year? :blink:

I put my winter wheel set back on last week, and today i thoroughly washed clean the 10 spoke summer set and left them to drip dry in the garage.

I'll wax polish them up and put them into proper hibernation another day when i get the urge.

Debs

• 2 weeks later...

Had to use the 7 as a daily run about seeing as the Range rover failed its mot on track rods and the need for welding. took a run to Wirksworth to pick up parts and while driving down a narrow side road saw a green gen7 rare as hens teeth and I want it but will probably never see one again.  

• 2 weeks later...

phase one of chasing bad, stumbly rough cold starts without any codes to help out....

1. Replaced all 4 ignition coils with eBay cheapos (£56 for the full set).   I must say the construction of these eBay coils is very good, exactly matching the OEM ones.  2 of the old coils were cracked severely all down their length toward the rubber boot with some possible burn marks on the outsides.  I don't care if they don't last too long at £56 for a full set compared to £140 for a coil from Toyota or £90 from denso / blueprint EACH.  Decided not to go second hand as I wanted to replace the whole set.

2.  Changed plugs for those new-fangled Denso "Twin Tip" variety, but I used the regular copper plugs instead of anything exotic.  Used K16TT part number, pre-gapped to 1.1mm as per spec.

3. Thoroughly cleaned spark plug holes to remove any moisture, oil traces and gunge

4. Re-seated MAF o-ring, just to be sure

5. Re-set chain tensioner

6.  Pulled Crank sensor and cleaned the magnetic sensor tip, was pretty gungy.

7.  Reset ECU

Result:  Engine much quieter.  Idle smoother.  Pickup considerably improved.  1st start from dead cold seems super quick and smooth again.  VROOOOOOM noise much more pronounced.

I'm not sure why, but the engine really is much quieter with the new coils - I suspect the old ones were seriously impaired from the cracks and causing some pretty big ignition lag timing corrections in the ECU leading to some more pronounced engine noise.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.