what have you done to your celica today...

scott64

Fitted new aftermarket Belt Tensioner and new gates belt.

Well, I kinda cheated - I couldn't be arsed removing the engine mount and jacking the engine a bit to get the pivot bolt out, so I just swapped over the new pulley and springy thing onto my old arm still on the car.

Result: random tapping sound gone and no weird buzzing noise

nothing to major.

Rear caliper isn't working correctly, got a lovely line right round the disk. Front Wilwoods probably need a stripping and cleaning as the disks have a black smut thats comes off when you rub your fingers on the disk

There's a noise, intermittent, like a wheel bearing gone, but noise disappears when you a. brake or b. go faster. hopefully that's the caliper issue causing that.

A/C is being re-gassed

Exhaust blowing and hopefully just needs a bit of welding on it

• Like 1

so, a funny thing happened to me today, was flushing and changing my power steering fluid.  Drained the bottle, disconnected the pipes, cleaned the bottle, reconnected main pipe, blocked off return pipe and bottle return hose pipe. right-o, easy - lets go!!!

so i have this bit of clear hose attached to the return line to collect the old fluid as i flush through and replace with new. missus in the car, engine running, turning the wheel for me...all goes fine...until... i say "thanks love all done now" as i pull out the hose from my collection bottle, at which point she instinctively turned the wheel to re-centre it.....

at that precise moment, a big, farty, air-lock + hot fluid ejaculation erupts out of the hose pointed right at my face.......me, the garage wall, the engine bay all covered......it was both hilarious and nasty at the same time

So, today I flushed and replaced my Power Steering fluid with ATF Dexron3 and got my face covered in hot sticky goo

For anyone wondering - I used nearly 2 litres of fluid - took nearly a litre to flush through until old stinky nasty burnt crap stopped coming out, plus a bit more for good measure - then the best part of a litre goes in

Edited by G.Lewarne

Replaced my intake manifold gasket.  When I was doing my throttle body work the other week I noticed some oily grime around the intake runners for number 1 and 4 cylinders. Got a new OEM gasket from Mr T.  On removal my old gasket was brittle hard, flattened, and there was oily traces all over the manifold mating area.

Good clean up and refit, overall only took 30 mins.

Result:  engine quieter, smoother and improved throttle response.  Tentative MPG improvement as well, but will need to drive more to confirm.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, G.Lewarne said:

Replaced my intake manifold gasket.  When I was doing my throttle body work the other week I noticed some oily grime around the intake runners for number 1 and 4 cylinders. Got a new OEM gasket from Mr T.  On removal my old gasket was brittle hard, flattened, and there was oily traces all over the manifold mating area.

Good clean up and refit, overall only took 30 mins.

Result:  engine quieter, smoother and improved throttle response.  Tentative MPG improvement as well, but will need to drive more to confirm.

Sounds like a good result

Do you think doing an internal manifold polish [using a Flex-Hone perhaps] would achieve any improvements?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Sounds like a good result

Do you think doing an internal manifold polish [using a Flex-Hone perhaps] would achieve any improvements?

not really, almost the entire length of the intake is in the plastic manifold, there is only an inch or so where it bolts to the head before it hits the valves - you can actually see and inspect them very clearly with the manifold off - no curves or anything in there.  The other thing is that unless you change out the PCV system with a catch can and filter - even the most highly polished mirror-shine honing wouldn't last before it gets covered with oily grime ruining the effect anyway

I can now confirm a decent MPG improvement - I think its three fold - all my A/F sensors being new, thoroughly cleaned throttle body and IACV with new gaskets, and evidently fixed a minor vacuum leak right at the manifold with the new intake gasket.  I am actually surprised at the difference its all made :)

Edited by G.Lewarne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G.Lewarne said:

not really, almost the entire length of the intake is in the plastic manifold....

Hold on Tiger!

now i realise how it could take you only half an hour!  :lol:

i didn't read your post right about it being the inlet manifold   :doh:

Sorry i didn't make it clear but my reply refers to the exhaust manifold  

I think cleaning/polishing out the internal exhaust manifold would make a nice difference - but maybe subject matter for another time/day perhaps!

See the youtube vid - quite interesting imo

Anyway, where did i put my reading glasses...?

Debs

10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Hold on Tiger!

now i realise how it could take you only half an hour!  :lol:

i didn't read your post right about it being the inlet manifold   :doh:

Sorry i didn't make it clear but my reply refers to the exhaust manifold  

I think cleaning/polishing out the internal exhaust manifold would make a nice difference - but maybe subject matter for another time/day perhaps!

See the youtube vid - quite interesting imo

Anyway, where did i put my reading glasses...?

Debs

LOL

should have gone to specsavers :P

Debadged it (did the front too then realised the bumper has a molding for the T badge so sprayed it black and put it back)
Took the opportunity to take some pics of my custome headlights from Eddie (TheGadgetMan)

DSC00131small.jpg

DSC00139small.jpg

Edited by Freeman558
lots of typos
  • Like 1

Dry cleaned the Wilfords. Got to love those tooth brushes with the tongue cleaning ridges on them. They do a grand job removing the crud off the Wilo pistons.

Even that quick dry dirty clean up of them has improved the bite

If it ever stops chuffing raining for more than 2 hours, I will give them a proper clean.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.