14 inch tyres.

BrianGT

I know it's not a popular size but some of you may have second cars with this size of tyre fitted.

I'm struggling to find decent 205 or 195 x 60 14" tyres for my Gen 1 ....it's a long time since I've used Michelin, Uniroyal, Dunlop, Goodyear etc. as we have always had 4x4's each and I use whatever comes on them!Same with my van.

I've googled what I want but it just brings up so many names I have no experience of.....

I can get street legal slicks easy enough but don't want to be on a motorway in a rainstorm and have to wait until it stops raining!!

Any suggestions?

I have a good set of 14's on an ST i have and i think they are 196/60/14 cant remember the make off hand but they are decent tyres

maybe someone on here who has an ST and is still running steels can help you out

I have a good set of 14's on an ST i have and i think they are 196/60/14 cant remember the make off hand but they are decent tyres

maybe someone on here who has an ST and is still running steels can help you out

Cheers Brian....I had no idea ST's had 14 inch wheels! Not such a blind cry for help after all!

Cheers Brian....I had no idea ST's had 14 inch wheels! Not such a blind cry for help after all!

we are taking them off to fit some gen 7 alloys so if you want them they are yours. you would just need to collect them

will get you details

they may be 65's now i think about it but as i said i will check when im down what make they are

Edited by Briano

The original pre facelif Gen 5 had 14 inch wheels at 205x60. I have just taken them off my car because I couldnt get a choice of tyres at that size (and certainly none V rated as my MOT insisted). However I found some reasonable Falken tyres at this size which I used prior to changing the wheels. I have the full set of old wheels and tyres sitting in the garage but not much help to you as I am not very close (!)

Gareth

The original pre facelif Gen 5 had 14 inch wheels at 205x60. I have just taken them off my car because I couldnt get a choice of tyres at that size (and certainly none V rated as my MOT insisted). However I found some reasonable Falken tyres at this size which I used prior to changing the wheels. I have the full set of old wheels and tyres sitting in the garage but not much help to you as I am not very close (!)

Gareth

Thanks anyway Gareth but that's exactly what I am talking about! No great choice out there!

I did think of going up to 15 inch but then I really, really would need a lower diff.

It should have 13 inch wheels fitted but by fitting 14 inch the once wildly inaccurate speedo is now very accurate!

i run 206 60 14 on the back of the ta22 and 185 60 14 on the front on celica-supra rims

What make are they on the back? Cheers!

Yesterday I was at a Rolling Road and the owner races an Imp and he's a very quick driver and he had Yokohama A0048 road legal slicks on the car.

I asked him how they were in the wet and was gobsmacked when he said they were fantastic! He said he can pick a wheel up in the wet no problem!

I had really shied away from them because of reading or been told how lethal they were in the wet......just goes to show how subjective tyre reviews are.

Edited by BrianGT

I still have my original set of 14s that the gen4 came with,195 60 14. Budget jobs though,they came with.Armstrong i think they are

I think the 4WD may have helped them there then! They might be a bit slippery with only two wheels driving! :)

You can move up to 15"'s but why would you need to change the diff?

Adjust the tyre wall ratio to make it as accurate for the speedo as you like.

Have a play with this

If the car came with 185/65-14 a direct swap (if the size can be bought) would be 195/55-15 on 15 inch wheels.

You can move up to 15"'s but why would you need to change the diff?

Adjust the tyre wall ratio to make it as accurate for the speedo as you like.

Basically anything lower than 50 profile doesn't look right for the age of the car.......to me...so if I went 205-60-15 it would have 2" bigger wheels than std which would really up the gearing.

It's already upped on 14's as it is and so I am planning on changing the 4.1 diff to a 4.3 or 4.6 ratio to make it accelerate quicker....top speed at the moment is way beyond anything I could use.

Also I like the 14" Minilites I have!! :) Hence just the need for good tyres.

( I actually like that fitting 14 inch wheels has made the speedo accurate....on 13 inch it was way optimistic.)

Edited by BrianGT

And how far out is your speedo compared to SatNav?

it's not out now at all. Against a satnav it reads 72 mph when the satnav says 70....too close to call.

The thing is Bryan that 50's are a bit low for comfort because the suspension is extremely hard and to get to the main road from my house i have 1 1/2 miles of dirt road full of potholes....hence keeping a 60 profile for some cushion.

The problem seems to be finding quality tyres in 205-60-14. Every time I read up on a great tyre it's not available in that size! :angry:

The diff is another issue........even with 14 inch tyres I want to lower the diff to make it accelerate quicker. I'm not bothered that the speedo will be out again it was just a happy coincidence that it came right changing to 14 inch wheels.

With the wheels and tyres it has on now it was doing 112mph at 6,800 in fourth according to the rolling road data and I still had an indirect 5th to go (for the road, not on a rolling road) so I can well afford to lose some top end......I'll never use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.