Confused about bump stops

digs

Hi, what do bump stops look like? My dampers have a gaiter outside with sleeve thing at the top, is that it? Assume They are do get in between the damper and strut to stop it hitting ? Amy info gratefully received :)

You would have to compress the suspension quite a lot for the bump stop to come into action and even then a bump stop would make a banging noise.

My guess would be antiroll bar bushes or links, then if not maybe worn shockers.

In order for you to be hitting the bump stops you would effectively have to be compressing the suspension to its full travel. Unless you are weighing the car down severely or the springs are knackered this would be fairly unusual in normal driving. My guess would be some other bushes are the problem, or potential the strut top mounts.

The story here is that I have some no-brand lowering springs on at the moment, that aren't very good, which is what I have put down to the bangs (not all the time, but enough). Have some eibachs coming, put some PI springs on but that was a nightmare (not the springs, just my thickness in changing struts!), but noticed there were no bump stops (or what I thought I would see) on my exisiting struts.

I will put on the eibachs and see if it is the horrible cheap springs that are too blame for the bottoming out.

However was not sure what a bumpstop should look like or be!

Typically on a coil over damper suspension set up, the bump stop sits at the extreme end of the damper rod as shown in the photo.quite often it's tucked away and is difficult to see.

As has been said above, it is very rare that you would hit the bumpstops unless you are carrying a huge amount of weight. I managed to do it once in my old Mondeo, but I did have eight 3 x 2 concrete paving slabs in the back and the steering was extremely light :o

UnmodifiedYellowStop.jpg

NOTE : This is NOT a Celica suspension photo by the way.

Hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.