Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

The MOT noise proposal has been kicking around for a year or two. To be honest, I don't think it could be implemented. The only figures available to be quoted for exhaust systems are 82dB and that is for a Drive By test involving an approved tarmac surface, sound equipment, radar.and to be able to accelerate the vehicle from 30 to 50 MPH under hard load. From memory that is in 2nd gear foot flat to the floor. In MOT stations would have to do a stationary test as laid out in ISO5130. BUT and this is a BIG but, what about the vehicles which don't have a rev counter ? These cannot be tested.as the Police officer admitted to me in court Also an MOT station would have to have a designated area clear from buildings, obstructions & other items which could cause reflection back to the microphones. Weather had a big part in the testing too. Windy and rainy days would cause the test to become void,

If the Police cannot test correctly, (and they are meant to uphold the law) then how are MOT stations going to be able to test correctly ?

In my research into this, there is only one dB figure which seems to be quoted which ALL testing houses, VOSA & Police seem to agree on, that is the figure of 99dB set for imported vehicles to pass the SVA test which allows the vehicle to be registered for the road in the UK, (Who is saying VOSA are correct ? ;) )

MOT stations do at present check for noisy exhausts, but that is purely subjective. If the MOT tester thinks the noise emitted from the exhaust is louder than that of a standard vehicle of that age then he/she can refuse a pass certificate. But as we all know, you just find an MOT station which is more sympathetic towards performance vehicles.

Just found this thread, and have spent all evening (between kids, food and watching highlights of England beat the Aussies) reading all 421 posts.

Big amounts of respect Mr Monkey Boy for the way you have fought this, the research you have done, and the way you have conducted yourself through all this. Not only does it give us all a bit of confidence that we needn't be brow beaten into submission by the, at times, ignorant authorities, but it's also brought this subject, which could affect most of us who love our cars, well and truly front and centre.

Great result in the end. Thoroughly deserved. Well done that man!!

• Like 1

maybe we should organise a mass modified car meet in Norfolk, the Police will wet themselves in excitement at the prospect of all those 'loud' exhausts. We can then probably bankrupt the force by all fighting the 'fines' in court.

• Like 1

maybe we should organise a mass modified car meet in Norfolk, the Police will wet themselves in excitement at the prospect of all those 'loud' exhausts. We can then probably bankrupt the force by all fighting the 'fines' in court.

It's already been done. It's called 'Modified Live' ( or as I call it Chav Fest) and it's held every year at Snetterton race circuit which is about 5 miles down the road from me. The Police, for some reason keep well clear if the circuit.

yeah he done well, moral of the story is...................avoid Norfolk! :lol:

Looking into this, Suffolk Polizi are pretty hot on Exhaust noise , so are Devon & Cornwall Police

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Was something posted in this thread about the Db levels being on the V5? Cba to read through every post again lol.

Just seen on my V5 for my everyday car (punto) that it has a stationary reading and a drive by reading, yet on the V5 for my G reg celica there is no such reading.

Was something posted in this thread about the Db levels being on the V5? Cba to read through every post again lol.

Just seen on my V5 for my everyday car (punto) that it has a stationary reading and a drive by reading, yet on the V5 for my G reg celica there is no such reading.

This is getting serious now........db levels on the V5! We as motorists are such an easy criminal element to persecute......I'm all for the Police but it does make even me cynical these days.

Wow, I have just checked this on the V5 and sure enough there is a section on there for Sound levels

Section U - Sound levels

Stationary (dB(A))

Engine Speed (min-1)

Drive-by (dB(A))

On all four vehicles in the MB household the section on the respective V5's are blank. The newest car being on a 04 plate.

So, by the looks of things the Police probably would be able to prosecute you if your exhaust dB(A) is louder than that stated on your V5 (if it is stated on the V5), ....... Now that is bloody sneaky.

• 3 weeks later...

They are still at it. Thomas got pulled over today in his Diesel 306, as it was putting out a bit of smoke from the exhaust as he'd over filled the engine oil. We'd drained the excess and Thomas took his car for test drive.

So yes it was putting out a fair bit of smoke, hence the reason he was on a back road (out in the country). Mr PC pulled him over and said the exhaust was too loud and if the noise test team were nearby he'd have them check the volume. They were not available, shame, as I would have loved to have popped up and watched them.

I am just waiting to get pulled in my Sons Audi A3, The Celica is of the road at the moment so have been using his car as he can't use it (he's had his license revoked for 6 points in the first 2 years) :(

He was forever being pulled by Plod, so I am just waiting :D

Also how on earth can a Diesel exhaust be too loud and as for having a 'Noise team' hahahaha Have Plod got nothing better to do at the weekends ?

Also don't forget that magic number of 3750RPM if stopped for exhaust noise and that 82dB level is for a drive by test NOT a static test as was proven in court.

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Also how on earth can a Diesel exhaust be too loud and as for having a 'Noise team' hahahaha Have Plod got nothing better to do at the weekends ?

Also don't forget that magic number of 3750RPM if stopped for exhaust noise and that 82dB level is for a drive by test NOT a static test as was proven in court.

The Pug passed it's MOT 10 days ago.

Hence the reason I wanted to be there IF they did a sound test.

Thomas has no problem getting pulled over, as the car was putting out a decent sized cloud behind it, but he had to burn it off. the Police Officer told him he should have done it in the front garden not out on the road. So it seems it's better to make a bank of smoke across a main road than spread it out at 50mph.

Mark got pulled for aggressive driving!! Pulling onto a Roundabout near the Police HQ, threatened with 6 points. But let to go on his way as he was polite and his paperwork/car was all in order.

I'll be next in my boy racer Corolla

For future reference and if anyone else wants to have a read just in case they get stopped for a noisy exhaust here is all the info you need

ISO 5130.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2007/wp29grb/ECE-TRANS-WP29-GRB-45-inf01e.pdf

Construction & use regs

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/55/made

Method of measurement as described in Construction & use Regs.Method specified in paragraph 5.2.2.4 of Annex I to Community Directive 81/334. Interpretation of results as specified in paragraph 5.2.2.5 of that Annex.

http://www.obtr.co.uk/europaenhancer/Enhancer.pl?ojref=CELEX:31981L0334:EN:HTML&ojpdf=OJ:L:1981:131:0006:0027:EN:PDF&format=

There, Happy reading everyone :D

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.