Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

Indeed.

However i still think you will fail at the lower rpm test point as each 3dba is a doubling in perceived output. I believe yours was about 12dba more which would be double double double double or 16times louder than pass mark?

Yeah as above, maybe before you jump the gun you should test your exhaust at 3750rpm to see if it's now within the 'limit' as last thing you need is to go accusing them they are wrong and it turns out your exhaust is still over or indeed and quite possibly louder

either way, this topic initial outcome is aload of shite.

If your car passes the mot, then a random copper pulls you over and books you on another set of rules with regards to your exhaust, then surely the mot needs to be updated BEFORE the police can penalise motorists surely??!!

Just another case of funding the police xmas party :blink: well done pc ploding useless!

Edited by 25th Anniversary

That'll be a good idea Mr Rizla, see what their take on it is.

I have a few plans to see if I can quieten the car down a bit, just to be on the safe side, but there will be a letter going into Chief Constable explaining all my findings. If my exhaust is too loud at 3750 RPM then fair enough, but the main issue is that they seem to have conducted the test incorrectly and their paperwork states 3/4 power.

Remember here that Mr Plod are not that intelegent and have to do everything that is written down on paper for them, common sence is extracted from them when they place on that uniform.

(appologies to any BIB who are members of CCUK)

either way, this topic initial outcome is aload of shite.

If your car passes the mot, then a random copper pulls you over and books you on another set of rules with regards to your exhaust, then surely the mot needs to be updated BEFORE the police can penalise motorists surely??!!

Problem with that is all those who have illegal stuff on their car but for an mot take it off, then when the car passes puts it back on. Main thing a de cat pipe for example (unless your car is except fro needing one of course)

Problem with that is all those who have illegal stuff on their car but for an mot take it off, then when the car passes puts it back on. Main thing a de cat pipe for example (unless your car is except fro needing one of course)

But if like myself you dont have any illegal mods on the car, i.e. an aftermarket exhaust that passes the mot fine, but then the police book you for what is a road worthy vehicle, then there is something drastically wrong. :blink:

so i need to fit one of these then :D

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337ab5d108

Even better...........buy on of these and be 100% certain the police cant book you for emissions! :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-CHOPPER-MK3-RED-BICYCLE-BIKE-/150870681928?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item232097e948#ht_500wt_1414

No de-cat on my car, still have the cat as I can't cope with the hassle of taking it off & puting it on all the time.

Might even add this as a mod to the car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Venitex-Electronic-Ear-Defenders-Pit-Radio-28dB-FM-AM-Radio-MP3-Jack-Bass-Button-/200773693441?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item2ebf0b7001

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

I took my Police Officer Son to a pysio session today at a Kent Police HQ, while there I had a bacon butty and coffee session in the canteen along with a few PC's and traffic officers. I know we all regard them as the enemy, but (mostly) they are great guys and love cars and bikes and are just doing their jobs. We got chatting about motoring in general and I bought up the subject about roadside exhaust noise tests as mentioned in this thread (no forum name was used). They had heard of them but didn't know they were in use yet. I remarked about the test procedure such as revving the engine to a pre determined RPM level for a reading and they all agreed that was dangerous ground to tread on. One of them said he has a fully serviced diesel car and he still shudders during his MOT on the smoke test when they rev the engine under no load in case his cam belt snaps, he agrees to this being done to get his MOT but is not happy with it. All in all the general opinion was one of horror at asking somebody to rev their engine and have a belt snap at the test scene and the possibility of being held responsible for it. A bit of advice offered was when asked to do the revvy bit, ask the Officer to record in his personal note book, that you are not 100% sure about your cam belt serviceability and will he take responsibility for any damage as the engine is being revved at 'HIS' request. One said "who does the revving? I certainly wouldn't rev somebody elses car in case of mishaps" He reckons not a PC in the land will risk putting that in his book and chance a damaged engine being his fault.

The above info was gained under a general chit chat and I'm not saying it will work 100%, but it may be worth a try.

That sounds about right, I have been chatting to many people in the industry about this and without exception ALL said it was a bad and flawed test. The range of people were from the engineering & powertrain technicians at work to the vehicle type approval and legal department, MOT testers, Parts suppliers and the list goes on.

To make life even more complicated, the type approval and vehicle compliance guys at work said that they rate the exhaust on our cars to 99 dBA, so that if owners are pulled over for noise, they can say that the Manufacturer rates the static noise test for a standard system at 99dB. (on an SVA test).

All said that revving an engine under no load is dangerous and can damage the engine, expecially a 15 year old engine.

They much prefer the "Drive by" test, which is 30pmh in 2nd gear then onver a set distance , hard acceleration to 50mph. dB rating is 74dB, but the test equipment is 7.5m away from the track centre line and takes into account tyre, mechanical and wind noise.

I am talking to someone in Norfolk constabulary tomorrow about their test procedure and how they have actually been misguided by ISO5130, Whether that will be of any use, who knows, but all the info here will come in handy.

so basically, the law is very inconsistant. I did even hear from a local sports exhaust stockist, that Suffolk Police use a different set of rules to Norfolk Police.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.