Getting new tyres, do you need to do balancing?

Gimba

Hello hello, if I buy new tyres, the same dimensions as the previous one, would I need to get it balanced again or will a straight swap be fine?

Edited by Gimba

I thought whenever u get a tyre fitted it includes new valves AND balancing (when they spin the wheel on a spindle) which means added little bits of metal either clipped on trims or stuck on alloys?

As for tracking, I always 'try' to get it done whenever the wheel feels a bit wobbly or sway to one side?

I thought whenever u get a tyre fitted it includes new valves AND balancing (when they spin the wheel on a spindle) which means added little bits of metal either clipped on trims or stuck on alloys?

As for tracking, I always 'try' to get it done whenever the wheel feels a bit wobbly or sway to one side?

everytime a tyres removed,it should be balanced,even if the same tyres put back on.

out of balance wheels cause wheel wobble at speed,typically ,above 50 the steering will start to shake.

tracking being out causes pulling to 1 side,wandering and tyre wear.

everytime a tyres removed,it should be balanced,even if the same tyres put back on.

out of balance wheels cause wheel wobble at speed,typically ,above 50 the steering will start to shake.

tracking being out causes pulling to 1 side,wandering and tyre wear.

Oops!

That means I need to get my Scoob balanced.....I was told the disc was warped....

And even tyres have unequal balance, Noticed this when I replace my budget tyres with some decent One, with budget tyres the alloys have so many metal weights attach but after putting the decent Tyres, heyho... we only used about 1/4 compare to the previous balancing weights...

Only get tracking checked if the front tyres have worn more on 1 edge (If you drive hard the tyre will normally wear more on the outer edge anyway).

Tyre places don't have a vested interest in your tracking being accurate !!!!!

As for balance, no NEED to but if you don't you will very likely have wheel wobble at speed which will be uncomfortable and cause rapid wear in steering & suspension joints. It's the tyre that is unbalanced, not the wheel.

You can technically do without the balance but why would you.

I have a mate who doesn't get new tyres balanced or new valves fitted. For the cost of them I always do as I couldn't be arsed with the hassle if I drove away and the balance was off or a valve ended up going.

Tyres are not designed equally. If you look at a new tyre there are various marks all over them. One of them is suggested tyre orientation with respect to valve. I.e they should fit the tyre with this mark lined up but some don't bother and then end up fitting more weights thn would have been needed to counteract the valve. The other one that is to do with tracking is tyres also have a linee running around the circumference indicating the tyres natural tendency to go left or right. Can't remember which colour it is but on any axle the two same colour lines should be at best central on the tyre tread (indicating the tyraverage no tendency) and if not should be the same distance out/in from each wheel to counteract one another. Again some fitters can't be arsed and worse case will fit one tyre with one line all the way in and one all the way out. Earning the car will naturally move left or right meaning you have to steer to keep it going straight. You come in and report it's veering off ad they get a tracking out of you which doesn't fix it lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.