Boost and Oil Gauge Wiring for the hard of thinking

digs

Hi, not sure the best forum to ask this in, and I have tried to search for it to no avail, but that might be my search skill fail...

I am adding a turbo to my 3sfe. I have a boost and oil gauge, and although I have not fitted the turbo yet was going to fit them in (they are smaller in a din, so fairly discrete) in readiness.

As I am reloacting my oil filter plan is to stick the oil pressure senser in the sandwhich plate that came with the relocation kit, and I will find a pipe to t-off for the boost gauge (shout at me if that sounds wrong).

What I have no knowledge is the wiring the gauges in to make them light up, and make the oil gauge work (boost is mechanical, oil is electric). They were second hand so have wires but no instructions.

Has any one got any simple instructions on how to wire them in for someone like me who is unsure on the electronics side of things ? Can't imagine it is too hard, maybe someones got some instructions from a gauge they bought new?

As usual, any help greatly fully recieved! And at the end of this, maybe I will be able to help others for a change insteading of asking questions!

Oil pressure should be a simple 3-wire install I think - Ignition (power), ground, and one from the sender? For lighting, the illumination wire could be connected either to ignition live or to the dimmer switch on the dash maybe. I put mine onto ignition live as the dials are pretty dark even in daylight, so wanted them lit up all the time.

I used a blanked off vac pipe underneath the inlet when installing my EBC, that measures the boost pressure fine (thats on a 3SGTE though, not sure if the 3SFE would have similar blanks). Incidentally, in the manual for that it recommended not to connect boost gauges etc to vac pipes by the DV. Not sure why, and my analogue boost gauge works fine from being tee'ed off the DV vac pipe!

Thanks so much for the info, really useful.Wiring doesn't sound too bad, so I will give it ago and see what happens!

edit:

No dump valve on mine. won't need it I don't think, its going to be low boost

Edited by digs

I would think you'll have 3, maybe 4 wires on the oil pressure guage and 2 or 3 on the boot one.

The ones I had (years ago) were:

Red - +12v - Take from cig lighter or wire in a proper fused supply. Make sure its only live when the ignition is switched on.

Black - Ground - Again tap the cig lighter, or a decent bit of metalwork that's part of the chassis and is clean to bare metal.

Orange - Illumination - I wired mine to the illumination wire on the stereo. It goes live when the lights are on but if you want them on all the time you need to wire to a switched live (same as red).

Green - Signal from sender. (Oil only as boost will be an air tube)

nope, no idea! bit no-brand cheap ebay second handers.... :)

But I think I have it, red + black each for illumination (live and earth) into the cig lighter illumination to come on when that does, then the oil gauge has another +/- which goes to the ignition wiring so on all the time, and the s goes to the oil senser (that I need to pick up).

sounds right.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.