Pulled over for "excessive noise"

Ok so I was pulled over tonight, I am the first one to admit my exhaust is far too loud but my question is, when I was chatting to the police man (real nice guy if I'm honest) he bought out a laminated sheet of some document or another that states

"an exhaust shall not be changed after the date of manufacture for an item that is louder or allows more exhaust gas to escape"

Does this sound right right? Seems a bit suspect to me?

I spent some time chatting to him and put it to him, "how do company's like powerflow and longlife get around this then?"

His answer baffles me "it's not illegal to sell after market exhaust systems just illegal to use them"

He kept telling me I would have to put a standard exhaust on to comply!! I am taking the car in next week to get it quietened down as much as possible so we will see if mr pc plod is happy with that?

Any thoughts?

Seth

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I was expecting a fine lol

I can't speak highly enough of the pc he was pretty sound and spoke freely and honestly to me and said if my exhaust didn't turn his head he would never of stopped me :(

got his badge number? fix car and contact him to meet up if u can be bothered, respect rolls both ways

We have already swapped details but he is adiment that it should be a standard exhaust going back on!!

But we all know that just isn't going to happen!

There's no law that says you can't use a free flowing zorst or one that's noisier, if there was the performance/ after market traders would be dead in the water.

It's up to the cops discretion if its too loud or not, but don't think there is a decibel limit, maybe wrong on that.

Don't know where he got his little laminate sheet from but at worst it's a crock of shite, at best he's misinterpreting it. :)

The Mot has some regs about it I think but it's very hard to enforce as some cars come louder than others from the factory. Think the police have to have a sound meter to book you for it.

Guess that's why he didn't book me as he had no Db meter and couldn't even tell me what the legal level is or if there even is one!

I will quieten it down a bit as it is hellish loud but no way is it going standard!!

hehe me and Amy got a trophy for this last JAE for our little visit from PC Plod who happened to have Mr VOSA riding with them. Basically vosa say it shouldnt be noticably louder than stock. there is NO DB LIMIT! so its up to the VOSA testers discretion.

Bit shitty and vague really. Dont you dare put stock back on that thing, i forbid it!! :P:lol:

Sorry, bit tired and may have missed something, but did he give you a producer or something? I had a producer given me for a horn that wasn't working ... took it to the garage I use, got it signed to say all was OK then took it to the Police station and job was a good 'un. No-one looked at my car again.

If you haven't been asked to get it checked or given a producer, get it quietened down a bit and carry on driving around.

No producer just pc said he "may" check up on me in two weeks time!

Haha Matt that sucks!! And no done worry this is staying as is with just a scilencer box slipped inline to drop the noise a smidge

Haha Matt that sucks!! And no done worry this is staying as is with just a scilencer box slipped inline to drop the noise a smidge

Good man.

We were made to pay a fine and get re-MOT'd. but a trip to a friendly MOT garage and bish bash bosh job done! :thumbs: No way im quieting down moo!! Im on the hunt for a better sounding exhaust at the minute, the Blueflame aint cutting it! :( Might be getting Hayward & Scott to do an exact replica of the veilside in stainless, see how that sounds, add in a custom bung and she might be good for the track, otherwise i will need a silencer put into the rear mid section too! :(

See, now that kinda thing from the Police really pisses me off. I had the same kinda thing happen to me by some fucking retard off duty copper who followed me onto my driveway. He was the one who gave me the producer for my horn not working - technically it did. He left our 'discussion' by saying that he would leave it for 3 days until he was back on duty to let me know if he was going to do me for reckless driving.

When I took my signed paperwork for the producer to the cop shop, I told the officer who I was dealing with about the cop and what he had said on my driveway. He said I should make a formal complaint.

By saying he 'may' check up on you is neither one thing or the other. He either has an official problem with your car or he is taking the piss and messing you around.

Strange that we don't know if there is a legal dB limit.

When I used to go to rallies, scrutineering guys measured every car.

Some stages are on roads, so I have always thought that the rally cars had to comply with some noise law.

If what the cop said were true, rally cars couldn't have stages on roads.

I got pulled up in the Corolla the other week.

They told me the limit was 82Db, They procecute at 90 Db.

Three runs @ 3/4 redline revs.

My car averaged 87.3DB

the limit is 89dba measured at a distance of 2.0 meters from the rear of the car at 3/4 of max rpm of the vehicle ,in rallying the limit is 86 dba at 4500 rpm at 2 meters ,or it can be measured 1/2 meter away then the limit is 98 dba ,the limits are taken from the vehicle construction and use tables ,all petrol engined competition cars are subject to noise test and if they pass the specified msa limits are under the actual lawfull limit, there is a mot fail for clearly unreasonable noise but who is to say what is unreasonable?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.