HELP! ive rounded a caliper bolt!

My mot retest is tomorrow, and the front brakes need new pads.

so i went out to do it, and had the drivers side all done in 15 minutes flat (not too shabby :))

then it was onto pssengers side, jacked it up, wheel off top bolt loosened, then came the bottom one.... 40 minutes later and i was covered in wd40 and grease, the bolt is rounded so my 14" spanner no longer grips it (altho its not completely round)

and i need to fix it first thing in the morning, but dont know what to do. help!

i would spray it with wd40 leave it over night then if its not totally rounded off get a ring spanner and try it that way this is why i only ever use ring spanners if i can get them on the nut of bolt less chance of rounding things off

Edited by carlasumm

ive got a 13mm socket, but only a ratchet thingy for it, and i was told "never wrench a ratchet" so i need summat to go on the end of my socket, and it needs to be hard as nailes as i intend on belting it with a hammer.

if this socke idea fails i will get my file out and file it down a bit and trying the next size down open ended spanner.

Ring spanner first after plenty of WD40.. if fails as said above 13mm socket + heat and hammer it on good'n proper..

Though you will require a new bolt after..

Good Luck!!

open ended spanned on tight nuts is never recommended..

No matter how strong the spanner is they will still distort slightly allowing room for slippage.

The reason bolts have so many sides is to evenly distribute the pressure..

Think you may need a blow torch don't think a hair dryer is gonna cut it..

Best 'O' Luck

You could just remove the whole caliper, which is held on by two 17mm bolts. You could then get your caliper in a vice to give you better access to the 14mm. You might find a ring spanner or socket might then grip as you can get better purchase on it. If not just grind the top of the nut off, separate the caliper into its two pieces then get mole grips on the protruding thread.

after 4 hours of faffing with various spanners and sockets, filling it down a bit, lots of rusty bolt freeer upper spray etc etc and i gave up :(

i took it to tye web where it was due a retest and told them of my miserable attempt. the geeza said "lets take a look"

so he jacked it up, took the wheel off, had a ganders and then went "hhhmmm"

he then walked off and rooted around a tool chest. he then returned with one of these:

7.0350---7.0356-Stilson-Pipe-Wrench.jpg

he then adjusted it to fit, got a grip of it ready to turn "surely not" i thought

and bish bash bosh, of it came in 1 simple turn O_o

I said to him that my 4 hours of spraying, hammer hitting and swearing at it obviously loosened it!

he then said "you got ya pads with ya" which i did, and he put them on for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

they even adjusted headlight beam angle for freeeeeeeeee too :D :D :D

So mot passed, now im gonna buy me a big wrentch so it never happens again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.