trouble getting into gears

Right, first up, I have a shortshifter installed by previous owner, and have the leathery/plastic Auris gearknob.

I've noticed that sometimes it can be a bit tough shifting between 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and can be quite an effort to shove it into reverse too.

(I had a similar issue with my 140 but didn't have the shortshifter so the changes were a little less precise anyway.)

This shifting does get a little easier once the car's warmed up and been running for a while, but it can still happen.

It annoys me, as the shifting isn't as smooth as I'd like, and it annoys the missus as she has to use both hands and push hard to get the car into reverse! :blush:

- Is this something that will go away if the gearbox oil is changed?

- Do I need to lubricate the shifter mechanism itself somehow?

- Would a longer and/or weighted gearknob help the matter? Albeit with a possible reduction in the effectiveness of the shortshifter?

I can't remember if the bushes in the engine bay are the original or the uprated brass variety...

(I swapped to the brass type in the 140, and didn't think they made too much of a difference anyway)

Are all Celica gearboxes just a little clunky like this, or is it just mine? ...

My experience of the 140 and the T-Sport leads me to believe that it's just a trait of the Celica gearbox, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong...

Help please! :wacko:

I've always found the Celica C60 box to be pretty notchy but have no real issues with the action. Yes a shortshifter will make life tougher on selecting gears but with a little lithium grease on the cup and ball connections in the shifter and a change of gearbox oil may be all you need to sort your issues out. Personally I've had a positive reaction to my shortshifter and brass bushes but not sure how much improvement to attribute to what parts :) Hope you get it sorted because little niggly probs are a PITA!

I changed my gearbox oil recently and haven't noticed a slight bit of difference if I'm honest so if I were to advise you I'd say not to bother changing it. Then again my gear changes were fine anyway, so i guess I tried to fix something that wasn't broken (or improve it).

If it gets a but better when the engine is warm then you defo need a gearbox oil change. You should never have to use 2 hands to get into gear IMO.

Weighted knob will help yes

Stock shiter size will help vs short shifter

I would do the oil and brass bushes

Even changing the height of the gearknob by a few cms will make a world of difference. I had the stock knob with ebay shortshifter but recently swapped it for a RAZO aluminium one & the difference is like night & day ;) The height difference can only be 2 to 3cm but the extra leverage makes changing gears so much easier.

Even changing the height of the gearknob by a few cms will make a world of difference. I had the stock knob with ebay shortshifter but recently swapped it for a RAZO aluminium one & the difference is like night & day ;) The height difference can only be 2 to 3cm but the extra leverage makes changing gears so much easier.

That's what I was thinking... a slightly taller knob (:lol:)

Maybe I'll browse the interwebz for a decent one. I did see a Razzo one I liked.

Oh, and it's only the g/f who needs to use to hands to get into reverse cos she's weak :D

That's what I was thinking... a slightly taller knob ( :lol:)

Maybe I'll browse the interwebz for a decent one. I did see a Razzo one I liked.

Oh, and it's only the g/f who needs to use to hands to get into reverse cos she's weak :D

Well it deters my missus from driving mine altogether so no complaints from me! :D

Here's my RAZO:

IMAG0852.jpg

IMAG0849.jpg

Contemplating these 3 knobs for a little extra leverage...

http://www.amazon.co...32936345&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co...2936345&sr=1-20

http://www.amazon.co...32936345&sr=1-4

Well it deters my missus from driving mine altogether so no complaints from me! :D

Here's my RAZO:

IMAG0849.jpg

Very nice knob! (no homo)

My g/f isn't overly keen on the Celica... too low, too noisy, too treasured by me ... but we only have the 1 car, and she's grateful that I let her drive it, so she can't complain too much.

But i just don't want her getting in trouble/stuck because she can't get in reverse :lol:

Plus i'd like a smoother shift.

She's got brass bushes, Steve. :thumbs:

ah, thanks! :D I hadn't checked the engine bay to see, but i figured it was probably something that you'd have done :lol:;)

this one's 400g :o

i imagine that will help with the shift?

31PTSCAZA9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or this one is cheaper but only 150g

31brNdg%2BQuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i quite like the brushed dark silver.

imagine it'd get cold in winter though :wacko:

Edited by InsolentMinx

When I had the T sport I did occasionally find that I would struggle from 2nd to 3rd but the same as you this would get better at temperature.

Edited by Pym

I think i'm due a service soon anyway, so maybe i'll get the gearbox oil changed for piece of mind.

Have ordered the 150g Razo knob too, so hopefully that little extra length and weight will give a more positive shift with a bit more leverage.

Fingers crossed.

Will have an Auris gearknob for sale soon :D

found a couple of interesting reads about short shifters and longer gearknobs

http://www.twmperfor...rt-shifter.html

with a niftly little animation

http://forums.evolut...ifter-knob.html

discussing the pros/cons of shortshifters and longer gearknobs.

basically it's down to personal preference I think unless you start taking in depth measurements

I'm not racing, so doubt it'll severely affect my 1/4 mile times :D

Edited by InsolentMinx

that 2nd to 3rd is indeed a pain.

Well, I'll see how the slightly longer gearknob helps.

For the sake of maybe a cm it might not do anything... I doubt it'll be as bad as the standard shifter though!

Hopefully the brushed alu will spruce up the cockpit too :D

(sheesh, all this talk of knobs and a cockpit :blush: )

I fancy a gearknob with an engine start button also...that would be sweeeet! However there is one in the market which looks minging! Any ideas of other ones? I assumed they would have a fair weight in them?

I had similar probs and so did the following:

1. Changed the gearbox oil for Redline MT90 from Opieoils (highly recommended)

2. Fitted TRD shortshifter

3. fitted brass bushes

4. Fitted weighted gearknob (around 300g)

Gearshift is much improved and all my probs have gone apart from the old....getting from 2nd into 3rd when in lift. If you are not concentrating and try to force it, it wont go. A lot of members on here including Martin and I favour the "double tap method" i.e. knock it out of second pause for a millisecond then just push it forward and it goes straight into 3rd every time. The more you practice with this the faster you get. Its not the ideal solution but you never miss 3rd doing this ;)

Edited by Serratia

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.