What came in the Post Today?

c.a.r.

No post, but nearly!

Went to Mr T to get oil filter for upcoming oil change.  £4,50, not bad. Enquired about prices of "their" oil, was given price of £49 for 5l of fully synth Toyota 5w40.  Nearly choked on my free coffee in the waiting area.  All I said was that's quite pricey, parts guy said how much do I normally pay?  I had to think quickly, wasn't prepared for that and didn't want to take the pi$$ so said £29.  Got the oil for £29.  RESULT

• 2 weeks later...
Not exactly in the post as I went and collected these from PB Polishers

In the words of KayLee, Shiny.
IMG_0158.JPG

Snap :)
3.jpg
Did they tell you how to look after it mate. There's dos and donts with professionally polished stuff?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jim881 said:

Snap :)
3.jpg
Did they tell you how to look after it mate. There's dos and donts with professionally polished stuff?

Snap? hmm, more like I'm a blatant copycat :D After seeing yours I decided I needed something like that in my engine bay.

Umm, No they didn't give me any special instruction so please share if you have some :)

Also I am guessing that the polishes that did yours used something special to get into their important little places, and it wasn't a Q-Tip cotton bud.

Total cost for all 3 parts was £120 which I thought was pretty good considering the amount of hours I would have to put in to get anything even remotely close.

Edited by Freeman558

That's a decent price mate. I paid more but the bloke polished the whole thing.

Don't yes autosol whatever you do mate. It will scratch it. Get mags mother polish.

I'd steer well clear of putting any kind of coating whatsoever on any polished alloy. First of all, you don't know how it'll react to the metal, especially if you've applied some polish to it (also, a bodyshop would want to prep'/wipe over the part, probably scratching it in the process). Secondly, unless you can get a guarantee that it's heat-proof, you might get a reaction with it being under the bonnet. Thirdly, if you get a chip in the coating (from tightening a bolt, for instance), moisture WILL get under it; it'll then blister/creep further, and worse than that, it'll actually start corroding the alloy. Had the exact same problem with some bicycle crank arms - they'd been clear coated at the factory, it had worn away in places and the metal had started to be eaten away - it became a 'rescue' job rather than an outstanding one.

As for protecting it while you're not using the car, if it were mine, I'd let the engine go stone-cold, then apply a layer of polish to it, and leave it. Just remember to buff it off before you re-start the car! (Post-It note over the ignition barrel)

One other option would be to coat it with something like petroleum jelly (Vaseline), though I honestly don't know how it would react to alloy. I always used it on chrome when I was riding bikes all year round and it was great for keeping rust away. WD40 might be a safer option; might be worth trying it overnight sometime before you come to leave the car for a while. Try on a piece that isn't in your obvious eye-line when you lift the bonnet, that way, should it mark, it won't be obvious to someone else.

One thing; whatever you put on may have dust settle on it. Be very, very careful when wiping/buffing off; even dust can act as an abrasive. That may sound a bit daunting to keep it in top-nick, but bear in mind that when I talk about getting scratches in the work, I'm usually inspecting under very good lighting conditions, from about 6 inches away, and I know what I'm looking for. To anyone else looking at it, they may not even notice tiny marks, should you happen to get any.

Oh, and never buff in a circular motion; always go in the same direction where possible.

Don't mind you copying mate. Isn't this what it's all about. Getting ideas from other people [emoji106]

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dublet said:

Got the 1700 for the low power, relatively speaking. Finally an AMD CPU worth spending some money on. :D

The Spec's look good.

I'm still running an O/C'd i5 4690K which is doing all I need of it but it is great to see AMD produce something to make Intel take note.

Historically I've always been AMD biased for CPU's but of late it made little sense other than cost.

On 07/03/2017 at 13:16, Freeman558 said:

The Spec's look good.

I'm still running an O/C'd i5 4690K which is doing all I need of it but it is great to see AMD produce something to make Intel take note.

Historically I've always been AMD biased for CPU's but of late it made little sense other than cost.

Only problems are that you also need a new mobo and DDR4 memory. Which adds up when upgrading. And the CPU coolers aren't all compatible with the AM4 socket.

I went from a AMD FX-6300 6 core to the Ryzen 1700: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1781&cmp[]=2970 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1781&cmp[]=2970 Literally wice as fast and uses 2/3 of the power. :lol:

Looks like even the basic Ryzen 7 beats your i5 with a similar margin: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2284&cmp[]=2970

1 hour ago, dublet said:

Only problems are that you also need a new mobo and DDR4 memory. Which adds up when upgrading. And the CPU coolers aren't all compatible with the AM4 socket.

Looks like even the basic Ryzen 7 beats your i5 with a similar margin: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2284&cmp[]=2970

Yeah that is nearly always a given with CPU upgrades, normally means an entire system.

I'm not entirely convinced that the gap is as big as that for gaming. My i5 is running at 4.5ghz and and few (if any) games really take full advantage of multiple cores and hyperthreading. So I expect the Ryzen to be better, especially in more modern games but I doubt it's currently enough for me to think "Must Have!" at least, not just yet :D

However, the fact that AMD are winning everywhere, not just in the Gaming market (where they last had dominance) is a real turn up and massive feather in their metaphorical cap. Faster and using less power, how can the hardware manufacturers not take note?

(erm... Maybe we should stop this thread hi jack before a mod tells us off)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.