Need help choosing tyres

karm3ll

Hi guys,

Need some help choosing tyres. I've decided to get Falkens but not sure what size exactly. They'll be going on standard Gen7 16'' 5 spokes..

The choices are

Falken FK 452 205/50/16 @ 65 per corner

Falken FK 452 215/40/16 @ 58.70 per corner

Falken ZE912 205/40/16 @ 56.20 per corner

Falken ZE912 205/45/16 @ 55 per corner

Falken ZE912 215/40/16 @ 53.80 per corner

Prices taken from Camskill

I'm tempted to go for FK452 215/40

what do you think??

215/40 on a 16" alloy will be a bit small, your wheels will look tiny in your arches. You need around a 50mm profile

Thats not how it works.

215 is the width in mm, 40 is the aspect ratio (height, in percentage of width) and 16 obviously the wheel diameter.

On a 215 width tyre with 40 aspect ratio the sidewall is 86mm

On a 205 width tyre with 50 aspect ratio the sidewall is 102.5mm

Why falkens anyway? I've found pilots are good, otherwise Proxes T1R's are good value for an all round performer :)

I'm pretty sure the proper size should be 205/50 16, you can use a tyre calculator to work out which other combination gives you the same (or as close as possible) rolling radius

215/40 16 will be 5.5% smaller, ideally you should keep within + or - 2.5%

http://www.alloywhee...Tyre_Calculator

It also depends what you want from the car, better handling, acceleration, slammed suspension, stiffer ride, if so then go smaller profile

If you want to fill the arches without going stupidly low, higher top speed, more comfy, then go bigger profile

changing down in profile will also bugger up speedo i thought, rolling distance is changed. i have yokohama's on S drives already used the front 2 had to replace after 6 weeks, so soft but a great gripping tyre. not good for my track day sessions last month.

changing down in profile will also bugger up speedo i thought, rolling distance is changed. i have yokohama's on S drives already used the front 2 had to replace after 6 weeks, so soft but a great gripping tyre. not good for my track day sessions last month.

205/50 is the obvious choice but also the most expensive, that's why I looked at different sizes. I thought lower profile would help with handling but didn't know how much it would affect the speedo.

Like I mentioned, the profile (aspect ratio) is a percentage of the width so it only depends on the width.

Taking into account a simple calculation not including tyre pressures or the amount of tyre that sits within the wheel and the effect on the profile (stretched tyres or oversized etc.)

for example, a 205/50/16 would have 102.5mm profile either side of a 16 inch wheel, so

25.4mm * 16" + 2(102.5) = 611.4mm diameter (24.1" roughly)

If you wanted to keep the same diameter (and thus keep speedo accurate as possible) you could use different sizes... i.e.

225/45/16 (101.25mm profile)

25.4mm * 16" + 2(101.25) = 608.9mm diameter (23.97") So only a tenth of an inch difference, which is very negligible.

What is really something to think about is this... if you have 6mm tread on new tyres and leave them til the legal limit (1.6mm), you've lost 4.4mm of tread, which is 8.8mm of diameter - thats more than 3 times the difference in rolling diameter than the above tyre sizes. :think:

Lower profile also gets you more chance of going bang when hitting a hole in the road. I previously had 40's lost two in the space of a fortnight :(

There is this, you lose comfort and impact absorption through smaller profiles but its a by-product of a tighter tyre, the advantages of which include less sidewall movement so the tyre remains more rigid under lateral forces (which equals better handling to an extent)

Edited by badj

No idea about falkens on a celica. I had them on my fto but cant remember what kind, they were alright as far as I remember! :)

Hi just bought Eagle F1 asymmetric 2s from camskill.... they are AMAZNG and would advise to buy mate.

Previous tyres were sport contact 2s but the goodyears are better

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.