Anyone used Type VR Push Engine Start Gear Knob?

Gimba

Not Fast and the Furious, it was Gone in 60 Seconds, Eleanor the Mustang

Come on Minx, get your car movie trivia sorted out laugh.gif

:brickwall::oops:

sorry, i was too fixated on Fast and Furious after Mikey's thread about undercar lighting :lol:

I can't get my head around these. The time it takes to press the button - you could just turn the key?

yeah...

at least in my old company Prius, you just put a card in a slot and pushed the button to start... with this you still gotta fiddle with a key etc, and when you're turning the key to the 'on' option, you may as well crank it a little further around to start the car :shrug:

^ Yep, afraid so. :(

I used to work on an old lady's VW Polo for her, she had a p/b engine start 'cos she had arthritis & found it difficult to twist the key.

Other than that...

I reckon the only way you can get away with one is if you have an alarm/new car with keyless entry.

Short of that, even the most un-clued-up of passengers will comment on the distinct lack of point! :lol:

Its probably worth mentioning that Eleanor's G/stick button was for NOS, not engine start.

Pretty sure most fans know this anyway but you never know... :P

Bet that led to a few interesting not-paying-quite-as-much-attention-as-you-should-be down-changes! :lol:

It's more than visual, it's the deep feeling of satisfaction you have when pushing it. Like being James Bond in a nice shiny Aston.

Plus if you got mates or a female in the car and you have already got the key in the ignition, (slid in inconspicuously) you're going to look like a right don! Or you'll look like a complete sausage. Either way I would feel fantastic pressing a start button, and that right there is why I shall be getting one when I get my car back.

You can of course disconnect it so the key no longer starts the ignition. :) might break it though. LOL

Surely you could set the ignition barrel up so you just slide the key in rather than have to twist it at all. Maybe?

Surely you could set the ignition barrel up so you just slide the key in rather than have to twist it at all. Maybe?

I'm sure theres a way, but can't help thinking that its potentially going to cause more problems than its worth.

After all, manufacturers go through all that effort giving you a steering lock, then you remove the need for actually having a key to switch the car on...

When I was a kid, I had a mate with a Suzuki TS50 who's ignition barrel was so knackered you could start it with a pencil! :lol:

Potentially, that means all thats stopping someone from jamming a screwdriver in the key hole & nicking your car is the alarm!

Personally, I'd feel my car was safer with the key doing its job & the steering lock there just for good measure.

Might be a bit of a 'belt AND braces' way of looking at things, but hey I am getting old... :P

Edited by Adex

No you can't, as the first turn of the key is to disengage your steering lock, well i suppose you could set it up not to twist, but you'd struggle come the first bend in the road laugh.gif

Back on topic here guys! Lol

Who has this, who has seen it in the flesh, any other gearknob designs out there and finally how to wire? A few members have wired up a Button in the cig lighter hole so is this the same principal but now it's on the gearknob?

If I can follow that guide and wire this I'm so getting one!

this was still 'on topic'... :unsure::)

i've never seen one posted in any pictures before.

the ad says it comes with full instructions, and i imagine it would/should wire the same as any other push start button.

eliminating the need for the key will just mean that anyone could break in, push the button and drive off (surely?)

alot of people seem to forget that the car have the immobilizer as another measure of security. you could try and remove the steering lock and you could try and move the barrel to the dash and wire it so that you dont have to turn the key just put in to disarm the immobilizer then press the button and away you go. this is how they do it how they do it on the new civic i believe.

that is my idea go on there must be some1 brave enough (im not) to try that and let the rest of us follow lol :P :P :P

Lol no I mean back on topic regarding if anyone have installed this

It would sill work with the key to take ye car to on- I would not mess about with that at all. Just interested in other designs and if it can be wired up as per the other start button people have done

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.