Brake judder

halek

I have EBC slotted/dimpled discs + redstuff pads all round that have been on for about 10k and have just started to get a judder/shudder when braking hard at speed. I'm always carefull not to hold the car on the footbrake at lights etc as I've heard heat build up in the pads can warp the discs + everything appears tight,plenty of meat left on the discs & pads.

Any advice much appreciated before I start pulling things apart,could it be a buckled wheel maybe or more likely a brake issue?

Hi mate, thats very weird you should post this message as I have EBC grooved discs with greenstuff pads and im getting EXACTLY the same issue with mine at the front, also at about 10k miles. I also have plenty of meat left on my pads but I havent had time to strip them down and have a look at the calipers. I know the longer I leave it the worse its probably gunna get but Im really busy at the moment with other stuff. The car still stops fine but there is the noticable judder when doing so. Im not sure if its easing off the longer I leave it or if Im just getting used to it! Im thinking possibly a sticking slider or piston may be responsible. Let me know what you find out ;) Cheers

Sounds like wrapped discs, brand new discs can wrap within a couple of miles if there is a fault, make sure all your callipers and pistons move freely.

I’ve never been a fan of EBC Green its not a pad id be using for a Celica, they have a very high Kevlar content for ecological reasons.

For driving Miss daisy they are find but soon as you resemble anything near aggressive braking then the heat becomes to much for the Kevlar, once that happens the heat keeps rising and this is passed on to the disc so causing wrapping. Dorris

I had EBC brakes on my old Rover 'TomCat' same thing with them warping very quickly (this was over 11yrs ago though) as such I don't rate the EBC disk. Demon Tweeks were also hard work to get them to swap the discs under warranty (bastards never gave me my original disks back when they fitted the EBC ones for me either!)

If i were to replace my EBC discs with the Mtec ones, would it be wise to change the greenstuff pads too,

or will the pads be fine with the new discs?(Only reason i ask is that theres loads of wear left on the pads)

Cheers

yup..measured the runout on my front discs ysterday n they're warped..

It appears that the EBC ''''turbo'''' discs dont last that long

m-tec group buy looks favourite

If i were to replace my EBC discs with the Mtec ones, would it be wise to change the greenstuff pads too,

or will the pads be fine with the new discs?(Only reason i ask is that theres loads of wear left on the pads)

Cheers

Yes its always good practice to change pads and discs together but not necessary but personally id junk the EBC green pads. Dorris

Yes its always good practice to change pads and discs together but not necessary but personally id junk the EBC green pads. Dorris

Thanks.....i think that's gonna be the best way to go ;)

yup..measured the runout on my front discs ysterday n they're warped..

It appears that the EBC ''''turbo'''' discs dont last that long

m-tec group buy looks favourite

Might finally get rid of the annoying 't..t..t..t..t' noise too......Hope the Mtecs don't do it too :unsure:

What i would say with M-TEC (had a few sets) you need to bed them in. Ror the 1st 500 miles - no harsh braking (obviously if you need to it cant be helped lol) But lengthen your braking distances, and brake gently.

Reason is they are not heat treated (tempered) like EBC - (although im guessing the latest batch of EBC have failed this step)!!!

So if you go hard at them from new they WILL warp. So gently does it for 500 miles - after that these brake disks are top notch - i would go as far as saying as good if not better than ebc.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

What i would say with M-TEC (had a few sets) you need to bed them in. Ror the 1st 500 miles - no harsh braking (obviously if you need to it cant be helped lol) But lengthen your braking distances, and brake gently.

Reason is they are not heat treated (tempered) like EBC - (although im guessing the latest batch of EBC have failed this step)!!!

So if you go hard at them from new they WILL warp. So gently does it for 500 miles - after that these brake disks are top notch - i would go as far as saying as good if not better than ebc.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

Cheers mate :thumbs:

Any preference over the plain/grooved/dimpled etc ?

Drilled you can get cracking issues - i have never had this and it tends to be applicable for track use really in my mind.

I would however go grooved and dimpled personally

I dont know if M-TEC do them but if you can get the zinc coated discs then this will stop the hub and vents on the disc rusting

Cheers

Mike

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.