How much do you put in your car at any one time?

How much do you put in at the pumps?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Pumping!

• £10
    • £15
    • £20
    • £30
    • £40
    • £50
    • £60+

How much do you put in your car at any one time?

My Mrs seems to put £10 - £15 in the tank 3 or 4 times a week and makes no sense to me what so ever...... While your there, and if it's a good price, brim it to the top and refill when it's empty, I cant think of nothing worse than filling up all the time, I would have to do this around 8 times a week!

Also while I'm having a rant, why the hell do people not pay at pump when at a pay at pump, they walk in with the card and pay in there! DUMB ass people, this really annoys me...

Had a guy put £20 in his car this morning in front of me, walked in to pay, by which time I put £69 odd in, got back in the car, started the engine and just banged my head on the steering wheel.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always fill to the brim. They say you can save fuel by filling less by running a lighter car but I reckon you lose out as prices go up a couple of times a week sometimes. At least if I fill the tank I keep the cost constant for that tank.

As for pay at the pump - be careful. I got my card cloned by a pay at the pump machine. I will NEVER use them again. They had a camera fitted om the pump too to try and snag my pin......

i car share and drive every other day, i always top up for each journey, £20 a time. not sure why i dont fill up to the brim, think maybe because psycologically it feels worse forking out 60 quid in ne hit that £20 three times. also maybe its the fact that i get a lot of cash coming in on the drip from refereeing and by spending that each time, i can leave the bank account alone.

also, i remember reading in a thread somewhere that filling the tank can be counter productive to mpg and performance because of the weight a full tank adds to the back end?

also, i dont use pay at pumps unless i have to (asda) but if theyve got a shop, i go in, gotta keep the guys in a job! :lol:

Edited by simonwref

But in this weather? it's freezing out there, why would you want to stop? and for the sake of a few pence, plus weight = momentum...

all that stoping and starting at pumps to, thats going to kill your MPG also?

i car share and drive every other day, i always top up for each journey, £20 a time. not sure why i dont fill up to the brim, think maybe because psycologically it feels worse forking out 60 quid in ne hit that £20 three times. also maybe its the fact that i get a lot of cash coming in on the drip from refereeing and by spending that each time, i can leave the bank account alone.

also, i remember reading in a thread somewhere that filling the tank can be counter productive to mpg and performance because of the weight a full tank adds to the back end?

I got scammed twice from inside the bloody garage, once in Slough, once in Chippenham, both from pakistani back ground... love it!

also, i dont use pay at pumps unless i have to (asda) but if theyve got a shop, i go in, gotta keep the guys in a job! :lol:

Thanks for that, anotehr gripe, Tesco's..... get your club card voucher, tried to use it a couple of months ago when useing tesco's momentum, £11.50 off or something, sorry this is'nt a tesco's garage just a shop, the fuel comes from Texico or something?

Your taking the piss? it clearly says TESCO all over it? nope really sir....

I will pay the pump when I can unless I've got a tesco voucher or something

I always fill up as well, I cant be arsed to keep filling up what a waste of life to be queuing every day for petrol

woops ... sorry :)

Thanks for that, anotehr gripe, Tesco's..... get your club card voucher, tried to use it a couple of months ago when useing tesco's momentum, £11.50 off or something, sorry this is'nt a tesco's garage just a shop, the fuel comes from Texico or something?

Your taking the piss? it clearly says TESCO all over it? nope really sir....

I used to always only fill up half a tank, run to low but not quite got the light on then fill up to half again, partly because why would i want to carry all that extra fuel around when i pass several garages adn work right next to one every day, and partly because it doesnt feel as bad speanding all that money at once.

Now with fule prices going up daily i fill her right up then run down till the light comes on, 20 miles or so more then fill right up again at the cheapest garage i can find.

If fule prices continue to rise i may have to get a bike :lol:

how much does this cost and what mileage are you getting out of a tank?

Cost £68 on Friday when I'd done 30 miles after the low-fuel light came on, I get about 360 miles out of a tankful, but can't be definite because I run it to the low-fuel light plus between 20-40 miles. If I drive like a lunatic (which is most of the time) I get about 320 miles from full to the brim to low-fuel light on, but if I deliberately keep light on the accelerator pedal I get an extra 20 or so miles before the light comes on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.