Toyota Celica ZZT231
By geraintthomas, 17/12/13
  • 2 comments

Comments

Hello There,

I am looking to purchase my first Celica vvti 190, my only worry is that it has 150k on the clock.

Can you give me some advise on what I need to be looking out for when inspecting / test driving the car.

Many Thanks

Gary

Hey matey, sorry for the long reply - didn't see this message!

Couple of things. If it's a pre-facelift (before 2003) then the lift bolts would need changing if they haven't been change. Very easy job if they're not snapped but if they are, it's a big job. Warm the car up first on a test drive and ensure lift operates at 6,200rpm (you'll feel a kick up the arse as the car engages the aggressive cams). If lift doesn't work, the car would limit at 7,000rpm instead of it's 8,200rpm natural limit.

Mileage? Not a problem. The engines are built like tanks and are chain driven, high milers are the way to go. You can get such a good bargain.

Get red only if you really like the colour, if you're not bothered I'd be wary - red celicas can look absolutely gorgeous when polished, but for some reason it loves to fade (making it hard to match paint) and red bumpers flake more than the other colours. Why this is, I've no idea.

If you're driving and at 30-40mph it sounds like a bearing going, don't be alarmed - this can be down to rear tyre tread wear. An unusual trait for the 7, if the rear tyres are wearing even slightly unevenly, it'll sound like a bearing.

Good thing about the 190 is that it never suffered from oil burning problems. Even so, check the oil just in case.

Oh and the other thing, inspect the brakes. If you see a celica with very bad condition rear brakes, I'd try to avoid. It's not the end of the world at all, it just means you'll probably need some second hand calipers to replace them as they're prone to seizing. AMS on here sells them for about £40 for the pair.

If the car has a spongy pedal, that's another trait for the celica. Doesn't mean that the system needs bleeding. Obviously if it's terrible then maybe, but expect a little give in the pedal - that's just how celica front calipers are I'm afraid.

Let me know how the hunt goes! I'll give a hand with anything you like and I'll help you with whatever questions you want answered, having owned a pre-facelift 140 and a facelift 190 (current).

Cheers buddy!

IP.Board Collections by DevFuse
  • Vehicles Statistics

• Total Vehicles
    • Submitters
    • Modifications
    • Total Images
    • Comments
    • Total Views

Iddon
    Latest Vehicle
    Toyota Celica ZZT230 By Iddon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.