Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Sign in to follow this  
delmontebanana

Are Gen6's faster than Gen7's?

Which one do you think is the quickest?  

33 members have voted

1. 1.

• Gen 7 190/TSport (standard/no mods)
    • Gen 6 GT (standard/no mods)

Question

My girlfriend's sister recently bought a 2.0l black Gen6. After looking under the bonnet, I found out it was an import 2000 Twincam 16V which packs 177bhp and 0-60 of 7.9secs and a top speed of 137mph.

Compared to my 1.8l 140BHP VVTi, 0-60 in 8.5secs and top speed of 127mph, I'm feeling slightly insignificant.

Ah well, if you can't beat 'em, you can always ask them to join your car club... :lol:

168 answers to this question

Guest Steevee

Its actually a good bit quicker than 7.9..

A Gen 6 GT will arse rape a 140 but a 190 (with a driver who knows what he is doing ie "lift") will beat a 6 GT.

Then the faff driver will horse the lot. :lol:

Guest Celica666_GTS

Apart from a standing start, theres really not much in it between a standard GT4 and standard 190. Yes the GT4 has 240bhp, but it also weighs 300kg more than the 190. I've raced an absolutely mint 1994 GT4 (assumed to be standard) with a passenger in my car and a passenger in his car from about 50 to 110mph and there was absolutely nothing in it. I was on the inside lane and had to brake hard because I came up to traffic. The GT4 appreciated this though and flashed his hazard lights. The big problem is, you only have to spend a £1000 on a GT4 to ensure it obliterates a 190.

I've gunned it along a twisty road behind an MR2 turbo too. There was no opportunity for overtaking but we were both driving to the absolute limit. As short as the straights were he did have the slight advantage on them and from the way the back end was stepping out of corners I think he had some serious HP on tap. When I turned off in a different direction he too flashed his hazard lights to acknowledge me and I flashed him. No outright winners in any of the situations, but its nice to have a bit of fun with fellow Toyota owners, no matter what models they are.

Guest Adam_wrc

that MR2 cant have been a turbo.

Sorry but my GT4, when it was running rich and dynod at 234bhp, i absolutely hammered any non turbo celica. They dont stand even a tiny chance against a standard one. sorry.

that MR2 cant have been a turbo.

Sorry but my GT4, when it was running rich and dynod at 234bhp, i absolutely hammered any non turbo celica. They dont stand even a tiny chance against a standard one. sorry.

:lol:

An MR2 turbo will shatter any gen 7, and give a GT4 a run for their money. (Assuming they don't park in the nearest tree.)

Guest chocka

Was with my mate in his standard CTR on the way back from Santa Pod last year, loads of MR2 turbos/GT4's on the motorway going home, acceleration from MR2 was quite good but they ran out of top end speed at around 140, CTR won every time :lol:

Compared to my 1.8l 140BHP VVTi, 0-60 in 8.5secs and top speed of 127mph, I'm feeling slightly insignificant.

Ah well, if you can't beat 'em, you can always ask them to join your car club... :oops:

WTF - how do you drive yours?! :shock: 145mph on the speedo once and 139mph GPS verified another time - 140's are NOT slow!

Apart from a standing start, theres really not much in it between a standard GT4 and standard 190.  

I've gunned it along a twisty road behind an MR2 turbo too. There was no opportunity for overtaking but we were both driving to the absolute limit.

You do talk some rubbish - a 190 would get killed by a standard GT4 in performance and on the twisties, and the MR2, either it's turbo was fecked or it had a mentally impared driver behind the wheel...... :roll:

Apart from a standing start, theres really not much in it between a standard GT4 and standard 190.  

I've gunned it along a twisty road behind an MR2 turbo too. There was no opportunity for overtaking but we were both driving to the absolute limit.

You do talk some rubbish - a 190 would get killed by a standard GT4 in performance and on the twisties, and the MR2, either it's turbo was fecked or it had a mentally impared driver behind the wheel...... :roll:

He's right you know. (as in Tim is not Celica666)

Guest Adam_wrc

Thats exactly what i was saying :oops:

(Assuming they don't park in the nearest tree.)

Now that's not nice dubs!, and just to confirm an Mr2 Tubbys are far faster than any NA Celica a Gt4 would humiliate me through the bendy bits though!

(Assuming they don't park in the nearest tree.)

Now that's not nice dubs!

You know I'm right though. :oops:

Thats exactly what i was saying :oops:

:oops: Thought I needed to "re-inforce" the point :cry:

Now that's not nice dubs!, and just to confirm an Mr2 Tubbys are far faster than any NA Celica a Gt4 would humiliate me through the bendy bits though!

In the dry with a decent pilot, MR2s are very very good down fast roads. Requires appropriate skill however, which is why I bought the four.

Having had the pleasure of owning both a 190 and now a G6 Cab, i can say that in my opinion the G6 is faster until the 190 hits lift. I doubt any (standard) G6 could keep up with a 190 when it's in lift. Especially if you know how to drive it properley.

I do find the G6 has a smoother power curve than my 190, which makes it great around town as it seems to pull just as well in 3rd as it does in first. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that?

Having had the pleasure of owning both a 190 and now a G6 Cab, i can say that in my opinion the G6 is faster until the 190 hits lift. I doubt any (standard) G6 could keep up with a 190 when it's in lift. Especially if you know how to drive it properley.

A Four as standard has somewhere in excess of 240bhp, a bucket load more torque than a 190 and doesn't have to wait for 6000 rpm for the fun to start.

A 190 is cetainly fast when driven right, but not that fast.

A ST205, stock, will crack 6 seconds to 60mph and run a 14 second standing 1/4 mile.

A 190, stock, will not.

either it's turbo was fecked or it had a mentally impared driver behind the wheel...... :roll:

Or maybe he didn't want to drive like a F*CK1NG £0$$er on public roads just to prove some stupid childish point?

Just a thought.

either it's turbo was fecked or it had a mentally impared driver behind the wheel...... :roll:

Or maybe he didn't want to drive like a F*CK1NG £0$$er on public roads to prove some stupid childish point?

:wink:

yup fair point, hadn't thought that far ahead :oops:

Or maybe he didn't want to drive like a F*CK1NG £0$$er on public roads to prove some stupid childish point?

:wink:

yup fair point, hadn't thought that far ahead :oops:

Hmm, wasn't someone complaining how crap Gen 7 brakes were? :oops:

Sounds like an ideal recipie for tree & idiot pie :wink:

as optimistic as i allways am with my bloody mk7...

the first car i lost to in a race was an mr2 turbo. 'nuff said :oops:

(although i agree with the faff bit to an extent. well from my personal experience anyway, if you take out the initial struggle for traction from the take off, there really isnt anything in it. but in all honesty, this has got to be in the dry :roll: and i need very good tyres for this... :oops: )

Sign in to follow this