The Vert Thread - general information & owners list

Sorry to be pedantic Katy, but I'm now the proud owner of 3 Sunchasers as the post below detailed. Could I ask you to be so kind as to update the recently updated list to reflect this.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

I'd like to add another car to your list of club convertibles.

2nd Generation TA40 Griffith Sunchaser 1983 (very late registered Gen 2)

1600cc 2T-B engine, 5-speed T50 manual gearbox

Rare RHD car in Silver. Needs restoration and repair to rear R/H quarter following accident in 2000.

That makes 3 Sunchasers in the drive now, I'll have to stop buying them or divorce will loom !!!!!

Regards, Ian.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering...

Q: Did the Jap market get the convertible gen 6?

Q2: Did the UK vert gen 6 get climate control or just standard manual A/C?

cheers

The jap market got the vet but with cloth seats, often/always? auto box, a/c & other stuff, the UK vert got leather & no a/c... I think

The jap market got the vet but with cloth seats, often/always? auto box, a/c & other stuff, the UK vert got leather & no a/c... I think

mind you, who needs a/c in a vert....if it's that hot, get that roof down!

anyway, while I'm here, anyone got any instructions as to the best way to clean the roof. Notice a couple of greeny patches along the edges, and wondering what it the best way to get rid of these and treat it.

mind you, who needs a/c in a vert....if it's that hot, get that roof down!

anyway, while I'm here, anyone got any instructions as to the best way to clean the roof. Notice a couple of greeny patches along the edges, and wondering what it the best way to get rid of these and treat it.

I've tried various things but mine is getting very bad - growing green & yellow stuff, but the poor thing stays out in all weather cos I can't afford a garage. I have the Halfords soft-top kit but it didn't really touch it, though the sealer is probably better than nothing. I've tried washing up liquid & scrubbing but that is fairly useless. I've but black boot polish on a patch to try but it didn't improve it. HELP!

I clean the roof with a small brush which was bought for suede shoes - and a vacuum cleaner.

Brush around the roof in small swirling action, vacuum up the debris.

I do this every coupla months, just normal washing at other times.

When I cannot find the suede brush, any brush does - even the one off the vacuum is better than nowt.

Do this when dry.

I do not put waterproofer or polish on mohair, the fabric is waterproof when wet.

Not sure, but I think it has to "breathe" as well.

I use the same method as Johndps but I use a slightly stiffer shoe brush. It takes a bit of effort but is well worth it.

Also while I'm here, does anybody have problems with the roof hitting the back seat whilst lowering the roof? I put the roof down a couple of days ago to do some mtce and the top corner of the back window hit of the back of the rear seat as it folded down on the drivers side.

Mine is getting very green & the dry brushing isn't enough - I'd try killing the growth with bleach but I don't think a spotty roof would be nice! (though might match the silly tints, oops still haven't removed them!) My glass doesn't touch the seat when it folds but the soft-top is in need of URGENT repair - any ideas? I am worried that a brand new one might be very tricky to get right. The back windows rattles if I put the windows down & the bottom edge of fabric covering the glass is flapping :) . I must try Brislington repairers (name?) in Bristol soon.

Mine is getting very green & the dry brushing isn't enough - I'd try killing the growth with bleach but I don't think a spotty roof would be nice! (though might match the silly tints, oops still haven't removed them!) My glass doesn't touch the seat when it folds but the soft-top is in need of URGENT repair - any ideas? I am worried that a brand new one might be very tricky to get right. The back windows rattles if I put the windows down & the bottom edge of fabric covering the glass is flapping :) . I must try Brislington repairers (name?) in Bristol soon.

I just got treated to the autoglym cabriolet cleaning kit, tried it on a green spot today and vooom....gone! As soon as we get a dryish moment gonna use it on the whole roof, so I'll let you know how I get on. Out of interest though it doesn't use a brush, but a very hard abrasive style sponge! But hey, seems to work!

I know what you mean, the green stuff always comes back after a couple of months even after a good brush and especially when it is constantly damp. I thought about using a weak solution of algae cleaner (the stuff used in tropical fish tanks) but never got round to trying it. Maybe I will the next time if I remember :)

I know what you mean, the green stuff always comes back after a couple of months even after a good brush and especially when it is constantly damp. I thought about using a weak solution of algae cleaner (the stuff used in tropical fish tanks) but never got round to trying it. Maybe I will the next time if I remember :)

good idea - I reckon this might work!

I think the Halfords kit might be autoglym & I reckon the scrubby sponge might be a quite good alternative to the shoe brush....

• 3 weeks later...
good idea - I reckon this might work!

I think the Halfords kit might be autoglym & I reckon the scrubby sponge might be a quite good alternative to the shoe brush....

update on roof...used autoglym cabriolet kit, worked really well. Do suggest a couple of applications though, as surface does become very 'foamy' and hard to see any hard to get areas in one go.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Quaidy

Hi all, Room for another?

UK '95 red Gen6 vert, got it towards the end of last year and starting to make it a bit cuter for the summer. I'll post some Pics when I get a chance :)

Edited by Quaidy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.