Celica Club UK Messages

Website Downtime Notice

Click here for more information

Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

CS2521

What makes a CS a CS?

Question

I have a CS that I've been having restored/fixed for the last few years - new shocks, removal of after-market immobiliser, bodywork repairs and a respray, new I.C.E - but now it's time to look at the engine.

It's been suggested that I get a new ECU which will remove the existing "old" tech, including the Carlos Sainz AFM - this will improve economy and performance!

It's also been suggested that I look at an "engine refresh" (in addition to the ECU upgrade), which could just be head gasket, hoses, water pump, timing belt, etc, or new shells, rings, etc, or future proof (which is a really significant upgrade)

My question therefore is...

At what point does my CS stop being a CS...already (I've replaced the stereo for crying out loud)...once I replace the ECU...only after a significant engine refresh...never?

8 answers to this question

I was so sure that this was a Lead in for a joke.

Something like:

How do you know your GT4 is a CS?

Because Carlos Sainz it...

umm..

Where did I put my coat, again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You may have been better to post this in Gen 5 where more of the CS guys would see it?

I guess one of the questions would be what are you looking for? A good performing CS or using the CS to progress to something else? If it is original at the moment (save for the ICE!!), it would be a shame to change it - but that is only my opinion and some of the guys have high performing CSs or RCs with many changes! Original CSs are much rarer.

• Thanks 1

It's your car - do what you want with it. If you're concerned about future value and originality,  any mod that cannot be quickly removed and returned to stock is frowned on. Just make sure you keep all the deleted parts.

If you do any work on the engine - it's almost inevitable that you will end up with it forged - stock items are either unavailable or massively expensive, so much so that a forged upgrade is the economical option. Forged engine leads onto other performance mods, and before you know it - it isn't a cs anymore :lol: but it will be fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It stops being a CS when you plant it into a wall :D

IMO, as long as the outer shell is correct, the WTA intercooler system is present, original gearbox and rear LSD retained, and the all important LE plaque is on show it will always be a CS. 

We all must honor El Matador :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO a classic car must be 100% factory spec'd. From there, you can do whatever you want, it is your car anyways.

The downside with modding a car is that, our own taste is not for everyone. Thus if you ever decide to sell, less people will be willing to put an offer, devaluing this way the car.

Personaly I love "properly" modded cars and this is what I am doing with mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The good ol' ship of Theseus philosophical conundrum, or at least a variation of it. First you must establish what makes a CS a CS. Does a CS stop being a CS if you replace the WTA with a ATA intercooler? Does it stop being one if the engine is swapped with a different 3S-GTE? Is it about the LSD? Is it about the nameplate? Or the chassis?

If you consider that you have two CSes sitting side by side, if you swapped over their engines, do they stop being CSes because they had an engine swap? Or do you still have two? Say if you took this process where you swapped over every single part? Do you end up with the two original cars, or two different ones?

One school of thought would argue that it is what it is as long as we assign an identity to it. Another says that the identity of the original thing remains as an abstract thought, a divergence in identity. In four dimensional thought the identity of something changes over time.

There are some other examples, such as when does a box of Lego stop being just a box of Lego and being a space ship, fire truck or whatever? When does a river stop being a river?

The DVLA has solved the philosophical conundrum by attaching identity to chassis number. Others who want to own a CS may look for more factory originality the so called survivor cars, which must have original paint and all original parts.

:shrug:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dublet said:

The good ol' ship of Theseus philosophical conundrum, or at least a variation of it. First you must establish what makes a CS a CS. Does a CS stop being a CS if you replace the WTA with a ATA intercooler? Does it stop being one if the engine is swapped with a different 3S-GTE? Is it about the LSD? Is it about the nameplate? Or the chassis?

If you consider that you have two CSes sitting side by side, if you swapped over their engines, do they stop being CSes because they had an engine swap? Or do you still have two? Say if you took this process where you swapped over every single part? Do you end up with the two original cars, or two different ones?

One school of thought would argue that it is what it is as long as we assign an identity to it. Another says that the identity of the original thing remains as an abstract thought, a divergence in identity. In four dimensional thought the identity of something changes over time.

There are some other examples, such as when does a box of Lego stop being just a box of Lego and being a space ship, fire truck or whatever? When does a river stop being a river?

The DVLA has solved the philosophical conundrum by attaching identity to chassis number. Others who want to own a CS may look for more factory originality the so called survivor cars, which must have original paint and all original parts.

:shrug:

Thanks @dublet - I was thinking more of the "Trigger's Broom Conundrum" so it's nice to see someone elevate it :lol:

Trigger's broom is indeed the same proposition, just with fewer parts so that even the people who think Only Fools and Horses is funny can understand the basic principle. :thumbsup:

• Like 1