Beware of fake / misleading shocks form online suppliers

So just over a year ago I completed a front end rebuild comprising, amongst other things a new set of KYB shocks - purchased from an online supplier of reasonable reputation

I recently went over a crater on the M5 at 70 mph and damaged my passenger side shock (blew the seal).  So, to be thorough I bought another pair of KYBs from my trusted local supplier which were sourced right from KYB uk.

Imagine my surprise on extracting said blown shock and finding a totally different brand under the KYB Excel-G sticker - they are actually "Optimal" made shocks which seem to come from china and are the same basic make as most of the cheapo "rebranded" shocks out there.  I guess faking the KYB sticker and box wasn't difficult.....

don't ever buy Optimal shocks.  even the one on the undamaged side was totally fecked after just 1 year.  10mm free play up/down on the piston, squeaky seals, virtually no rebound pressure left, hard and soft parts along the stroke -oh, and rusty too.

I am usually very diligent when I source critical parts, but this time I was caught out and thought I would share the experience.

ps - with genuine KYBs at the front now and known genuine KYBs at the back it doesn't half ride stiffer ! its like its on rails :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kev 16v said:

Now you've got me worried, Gavin. I have a front pair waiting to be fitted. Are you able to expand (pardon the pun) on who the "on-line supplier of reasonable reputation" is?.

would prefer not at this time, I want to see what their response to my email is

look at yours and you see a sticker AND the KYB part number & "made in japan"  stamped on the outward face of the shock.  The top "plate" around the piston should be silver not black and be a flat disc with tacwelds.  The weld around the very bottom of the shock where it has the hub plate pressed around it - it should be a continuous weld all around the tube, not just a few spot welds.

that was all the more obvious differences I could see

• Like 1

You've got us all worried now, Gav :huh:

Both mine have a silver coloured top, not easy to see on the front shock from photo below but is silver, don't recall seeing sparsely placed weld spots...  

Perhaps i can relax, car feels okay to drive anyway.

All my shocks have a dodgy looking paint job, but that was me in the shed before we fitted 'em :lol:

fxWtDqU.jpg

By your description..mine looks to be genuine. The top "plate" is silver, and the welding around the base continuous.

This is exactly what is stamped directly under the sticker:

334278    KYB

CAUTION GAS FILLED

DO NOT OPEN OR HEAT

MADE IN JAPAN      PL14

There is also transparent plastic banding around the shock.

• Like 1

don't worry debs yours are all fine., I just remembered a couple other differences

On the fronts, the genuine ones have the droplink attachment plate exactly as in debs picture. on the "fakes" its a single small piece just welded at the end

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, slybunda said:

How to tell if rear shocks are genuine? Got me worried about mine now.

Also i need front shocks who is safest to get them from?

honestly reboxing rebranding and/or faking is getting so prevalent now I basically avoid critical parts coming from eBay or overseas companies.  I now only buy any super critical "holds my wheel on or slows me down" stuff from a couple local motor factors - and even then im choosy with the brand of part if there is a choice.  you can inspect them on the premises and there are humans there if you have a problem.  Most of the time its only a few quid more.

Im not sure about checking the rear shocks as I know mine are genuine (saw the KYB van drop them off to my local depot)

Edited by G.Lewarne

47 minutes ago, G.Lewarne said:

Im not sure about checking the rear shocks as I know mine are genuine (saw the KYB van drop them off to my local depot)

or maybe the van had a kyb sticker over the optimal logo...?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, slybunda said:

Where get from?

I need new front shocks and the rubbers for them too.

My shock absorbers are okay, purchased vis eBay seller: clickcarparts 

The replacement boots, bump stops, etc from Import Car Parts (but not their shock absorbers)

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts?cat=89&sub=1353&sec=1555&var=38&dc=y

57 minutes ago, slybunda said:

whats the quality like of the rubbers? are they like plastic or proper rubber quality?

I got the same ones, they feel pretty nice.  Rubber, not plastic.  Definitely felt firmer than the shagged ones I took off.  fit perfect, no issues with them.  Got the same upper isolater/shock boot as well - 1.5 years on and no tears or perishing

Edited by G.Lewarne
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.