Painting Replacement Brake Calipers

I’m talking here about run-of-the-mill cast iron replacement calipers. These always seem to be supplied with some sort of silvery finish, and it doesn’t take very long for it to just disappear leaving the caliper to start rusting.

The question is just what is that silver finish; is it a paint or is it some sort or plating? I think it’s the latter and if that is so, what kind of paint would you put on top of it?

I’ve just painted a silvery one using Hammerite Special Metals primer, which is meant for non-ferrous metals, as that it what I guess the plating is.

Any thoughts?

Edited by bazz54

Yep, think it's some crappy useless plating, so ideally, a primer for non-ferrous metals may be the best way to go, but probably not too critical.

I'm sorting out some slight brake-binding (on 3 wheels :angry:) before my MoT. The fronts just needed cleaning and lubing to sort them out, but I'm going to install a near-new rear caliper that still has its silver plating on it. Back in 2011, I top-coated all the calipers in Humbrol Enamel paint and that is really hard and durable and has lasted really well, so they are now getting a re-coat.

Newly painted calipers, newly powder-coated wheels...what a lovely old banger:wub:.

23 minutes ago, bazz54 said:

Yep, think it's some crappy useless plating, so ideally, a primer for non-ferrous metals may be the best way to go, but probably not too critical.

I'm sorting out some slight brake-binding (on 3 wheels :angry:) before my MoT. The fronts just needed cleaning and lubing to sort them out, but I'm going to install a near-new rear caliper that still has its silver plating on it. Back in 2011, I top-coated all the calipers in Humbrol Enamel paint and that is really hard and durable and has lasted really well, so they are now getting a re-coat.

Newly painted calipers, newly powder-coated wheels...what a lovely old banger:wub:.

Ive not bothered with primer on fresh new/recon calipers.  The plating seems to bind with the paint fine and keep the corrosion at bay.  I think its just super thin and wears off fast which causes the problems if you leave them "naked"

Saying that, on ones I haven't painted and the plating has worn off, I find that a quick scrub with the rough side of a scrubby sponge thing keeps them looking decent and takes minutes when washing the car.  I never painted my new rear calipers on my 7, and they are nearly 2 years old and still look "new" with just a scrub once every couple weeks or so.

3 years ago i painted four 'remanufactured' callipers from EPC, and which came with the thin silver plating coat.

I used [ Gold ] Foliatec, an excellent quality heat resistant calliper paint. There is a huge range of colours to choose from.

The kit comes with an aerosol of brake cleaner, tin of paint colour and a smaller tin of hardener to be mixed together just before painting.

Is holding up well so far, the gold paint has formed a very hard coating and makes for easier cleaning.

Priced around £25 but well worth it imo.

TlU7RPH.jpg

• Like 1

Mmmm, well call me a tight-fisted Yorkshire sod, but the Humbrol Enamel at ~£1.50 per 14ml tin seems like a better deal ;).

Two tins will do all 4 calipers. I use Baltic Blue (a metallic Royal Blue, no political inference shall be implied!!!).

• 1 month later...

Thought the standard coating they come with is a zinc plating. My fronts have been new for 2 years and coating is still there. Just have to clean them to see it.

I like the silvery finish they come with. Is there some sort if high temp lacquer that can be used to preserve them?

250ml of Hammerite Smooth at £5 a tin.

Two coats, leaving a period of several weeks (to fully cure) between coats, applied using an artists brush. Being able to apply a thicker coat than using a spray type like Foliatec, leaves a smoother finish on the casting.

Loads left over, allowing any "touch-ups" to be carried out as required.

Iv always wanted to paint my calipers but dont want to do it on brand new ones incase they are faulty and then have warranty issues with return due to paint.

Also once calipers are on the car i dont feel like taking them off again just to paint. 

Damd if i do damd if i dont.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.