is this going to look dodgy to the DVLA ?

Ive been fed up with my cracked and damaged number plates looking skanky so I got some new (completely standard) ones made up.  Got the rear one replaced without drama.

However, on fitting the front I put a permeant crinkle in the reflective backing just to the right of the last letter.  Its pretty obvious and looks crap :(

Since I have already had two new plates made (and registered with the dvla) will it look dodgy if I get a third one made up to replace the one I crinkled?  it would mean a third plate swap being registered with them in like 3 days..... ?

or should I just keep it now because the crinkle isn't infringing on the letters.

Maybe not,if you had a caravan then you'd need to get another made up anyway,for example.Which reminds me I need to get one done as Ive changed my car since the caravan was last taken out to annoy everyone on the roads to the West country.Cheers for the reminder G :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nah I wouldn’t worry about it. In the 14 years I’ve been in the motortrade the amounts of plates that I’ve drilled wonkey (pet hate) or we’ve broken when we drill them DVLA would have a field day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cleario said:

Nah I wouldn’t worry about it. In the 14 years I’ve been in the motortrade the amounts of plates that I’ve drilled wonkey (pet hate) or we’ve broken when we drill them DVLA would have a field day. 

alright - good to know, thanks :)

Get them off eBay for like £8 as long as they have the right size letters in the correct font on UK size plate  with who made them post code there is no legal issues whatsoever. No police will stop you for having a correct clear number plate 

7 hours ago, bazz54 said:

I'm confused; DVLA need notifying ??? If the plates comply with the regs, and the maker's name and postcode are present, doesn't that close everything out?

Any company "following the rules" need your v5 and license and enter those details on the dvla database when issuing number plates

6 hours ago, G.Lewarne said:

Any company "following the rules" need your v5 and license and enter those details on the dvla database when issuing number plates

Never been down that route, but it's some years since I last had new plates. Are we talking about the numbers of those docs or the actual docs?

Would be unhappy about sending the docs in the post. Getting hold of a photo ID licence is really damn hard as it is. Think the last plates I had were made up in Edinburgh by some firm off ebay, but no docs involved.

For some reason, I do think the condition of the plates really does reflect on the vehicle overall; could not live with iffy ones.

Edited by bazz54

28 minutes ago, bazz54 said:

Never been down that route, but it's some years since I last had new plates. Are we talking about the numbers of those docs or the actual docs?

Would be unhappy about sending the docs in the post. Getting hold of a photo ID licence is really damn hard as it is. Think the last plates I had were made up in Edinburgh by some firm off ebay, but no docs involved.

For some reason, I do think the condition of the plates really does reflect on the vehicle overall; could not live with iffy ones.

my friendly factors - even though they have known me and my cars for YEARS - had to have the physical documents in their hands to make me the plates.  It only takes a couple minutes though and I was in and out with my new plates for 7 quid each in minutes.

I didn't realise buying new number plates was so bureaucratic,

and didn't have any faff buying my new plates [ all done mail order with no documents ] 

Perhaps because they came from 'Plates For Cars' who are Dublin (?) :D

Size Front: 520x111mm (20.5x4.4in)
Size Rear: 520x111mm (20.5x4.4in)
Font : UK Legal Black GEL RESIN
Badge : Wales 2
Border : Red
Legal Details : Yes

http://www.platesforcars.co.uk

The Gel 3D Resin plates are particularly nice IMO

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If ordering from eBay as a lot are referring to they are not always legal plates the plate must comply with and have the BS mark on them to confirm they comply with - BS AU 145 D and as previously mentioned the name and postcode of the supplier, if not you can be pulled over and fined for having illegal plates which is becoming very common in the UK, Bristol officially being the worst place for being caught for illegal license plates.

I am also aware a Lot of places don’t request documents but someone can have a plate made and just fit it when they intend to speed with no repercussion to them, how would you feel knowing that happened to you because someone made plates for your car without checking the documents?

all the ebay ones seem to be more expensive than from a local place too?  I paid 7 quid each for mine with all the requisite makings on them and got them in minutes of handing over my paperwork.

I imagine the difference is road legal plates and ones marketed as show plates. Road legal plates have to have the BS number (BS145 something?) and makers post code on, and they need to see your docs. Show plates dont and can be done over internet with no docs. 

4 hours ago, Tomb said:

If ordering from eBay as a lot are referring to they are not always legal plates the plate must comply with and have the BS mark on them to confirm they comply with - BS AU 145 D and as previously mentioned the name and postcode of the supplier, if not you can be pulled over and fined for having illegal plates which is becoming very common in the UK, Bristol officially being the worst place for being caught for illegal license plates.

I am also aware a Lot of places don’t request documents but someone can have a plate made and just fit it when they intend to speed with no repercussion to them, how would you feel knowing that happened to you because someone made plates for your car without checking the documents?

just as i know recently was pulled over to hear that the copper said my rear plate was a illegal plate and i virtually had to agree with him to stop getting a £100 fine .... yet they had been on the car 5 years and went through every mot 

from this :

31964338_10216527425918093_6185179795924451328_n.jpg.7aff9badb0e32ea279cfc2678a12c66f.jpg

to this : 

34287188_10216735459398800_7095624661228060672_n.jpg.ddbfc27a1143f733a848b8ce9931f25d.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.