Petrol prices :(

2 hours ago, meirion said:

Just put a bit of V-Power in the GT4. Seems like I'm still lucky here at £1.29.9

Wow, the Shell-out posh petrol is only 1p a litre dearer than Tesco 99Ron!

Filled up with Tesco momentum at Welshpool this evening = £1.28.9 a litre.

BTW...why does it always ends with a .9 of one penny, i'm sure there is no such currency denomination? :huh:

Never really bothered which fuel I put in as I don't use the Tsport much but if it runs ok on cheap shit it will do me.

Still struggle to get my head round why the cheapest car I have to run is a 4.6lt Rangerover for a daily driver O hang on could be 52p a liter for Lpg + a V8 roar every time I floor it. 

Filled up again today £1.35.9, last week was £1.32.9 :( (this is vpower)

Looks like I'm switching to regular unleaded

Edited by GTDAZ
added fuel grade

Oil prices have been on the up,and the price of fuel has been rising for months now.It was steadily sneaking up well before Xmas.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/262858/change-in-opec-crude-oil-prices-since-1960/

Not as bad as 2012-2013,however the instability worldwide surrounding the oil producing countries isn't a great outlook.

And as usual the prices at the pump will jump up far more readily than they will jump down again in the unlikely short term event that the crude dips.

The 'what fuel in my car' conundrum comes up every year on here.General concensus is that most of the higher RON fuels in a normal UK specced car is normally a bit of a placebo,the only real advantage you might get is with continuous use of the V Power type stuff will help the car as its supposedly a cleaner fuel with additives over run of the mill supermarket stuff,but from a performance perspective itll be negligeable IMO. You're more likely to get the most out of your engine with frequent servicing/oil and filter changes .And I mean frequent,like every 6000 miles or twice a year.

Imported JDM cars are programmed by ECU to run best on a higher RON fuel however,typically up to 102 RON (which we dont get here,but could be worse,could be the US) so it makes sense to use a higher RON fuel like a 99 in a car like this.I always used VPower in my JDM GT4 and i use it exclusively in my gen4 with the JDM engine it's been fitted with for that reason alone. The diesel Passat I use generally gets a bellyful of Sainsbury's,but I will stick a tank of the 'good' stuff in every so often if I'm feeling a bit flush,mainly because it makes me feel better to do it now and again.Judging by my fuel computer I returned slightly better MPG using the Diesel V  over the Sainsburys stuff but you never ever drive exactly the same way each fill,traffic conditions change even on motorway runs so its a bit of a crap shoot there,including the reliability of the computer in the car.For a UK spec car I would suggest you use what makes you feel is right,if you think you get better performance out of the Vpower stuff over 95 RON,then carry on.

Also bear in mind that oil is trades in USD, and since 17th of April the pound has been dropping in value again. Dropping pound + rising crude oil is a double whammy.

I had a look at a few forecourts as I cycled past today, and they all seem to be around £1.29 for 95 RON.

• Like 1

Started training for london to brighton last week so ive been doing my 13 mile (each way) commute on the bike 

With traffic in the morning in the car it takes around 40 mins to an hour and its almost always an hour on the way back 

Got back in an hour and 4 minutes on the bike yesterday so its a no brainer now to become a regular thing until it gets icy, getting quicker each ride as well as I get more familiar with the cycle paths

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.