Is a Celica the right car for the job?

Tiddles

In my new role as a NHS community support worker I will be using my car to do my rounds.

On average I will be doing about 70 to 80 miles a day visiting about 10 patients.

I will be getting mileage at 45p per mile after the first 20 miles.

Is the Celica a suitable car for this job?

In the first week of having my 140 o "enjoyed" driving around and only doing short distances.   Although claimed to have been serviced I haven't changed any oil or filters etc and still returned 28mpg which equates roughly to 21p a mile .. 

I'm confident that driving like a normal person would definitely improve this..

Only my findings but hope it helps 

1 hour ago, Tiddles said:

We do not get paid from the commute to and from the office. I live 10 miles from the office but someone living 4 miles from the office gets mileage after 8 miles.

I am looking at a late 2004+ 140.

OK, That is correct, assuming that your base is your office and not your home

i was doing 650 miles a week on a 280,000 miles car until recently

When the car was newer I was regularly doing 1500-2000 miles a week. 

I have converted my car to LPG which costs about 10p a mile on average

Speaking as someone who has owned a Gen7 for nearly 14 years now, I think it would suit you very well. They have to be be amongst the most reliable cars on the road - really important for your job. When maintenance is needed, there's no problem at all in finding new or recycled parts. When that hatch is opened up, it is like Dr Who's Tardis in terms of what will fit in there. Petrol consumption - pretty good as long as you drive appropriately. Value for money - incredible, but you need to find one that's been looked after.

I did well over 100 miles a day. Hence why I bought a reliable petrol car. Plus I can throw 2 bikes in the back ( front wheels removed) and enjoy my drive up through the Twistes. Yes a diesel something would be cheaper on fuel but I can guarantee I would have spent a fortune on repairs unlike my celica. 180k and still drive it the same way when I got it on 50k.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.