Tyres and spacers advice

Kobir

Hi guys
Hope everyone’s well
I recently purchased a set of wheels. The size is 17x7.5j with offset of +30
First what tyre size should I go for as I know there’s a few sizes I can get but wanted to know the best size is your opinion
Also I’d want some spacers to give the car a good stance, nothing too funky just push the wheels out abit to make it look aggressive and sit flush. I have a gen7 GT and the standard lowered suspension for now which will be changing to coil overs in the future. Arches have not been rolled either
Look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless acceleration is all important, opt for 215/45 (215/40 otherwise).

If you must fit spacers, don't go any wider than 10mm. Personally, I don't  think you need them with combo of rim width/offset, and 215 tyre.

FYI, I run 7.5J ET35 215/45 with 17mm spacers on the rear, with occasional rubbing on the rear tyres if carrying one passenger and drive over a dip in the road. Car is lowered 30mm on Eibach Pro Kit.

HTH :)

Edited by Kev 16v

Unless acceleration is all important, opt for 215/45 (215/40 otherwise).

If you must fit spacers, don't go any wider than 10mm. Personally, I don't  think you need them with combo of rim width/offset, and 215 tyre.

FYI, I run 7.5J ET35 215/45 with 17mm spacers on the rear, with occasional rubbing on the rear tyres if carrying one passenger and drive over a dip in the road. Car is lowered 30mm on Eibach Pro Kit.

HTH [emoji4]

Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
Iv been on the web and have read some people even go 225 tyres on 7.5j, is this overkill, as for 40/45 I’d go for the 45 as I like abit of meat on the tyres. As for spacers, il use the wheels as they are and go from there, if I think it needs pushing out abit more I think il settle for 10mm spacers but will see how it looks first when I whack the wheel on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't mind a bit of "tram-lining", 225/40 would be fine on 7.5J, as the rolling radius is pretty much spot-on. The problem is availability..who sells them?.

225/45 is two sizes up from OE, and a bit too big in my opinion. I think your TS would be slower than a 140 in the 0-60 dash. Economical though :)

You're getting better acceleration with a smaller rolling radius than the OE 205/45.

The downsides are:

A harsher ride

Less bump absorption putting more wear onto your suspension components, and increased risk of a buckled rim

Speedo reading will be out (215/45 on the front actually makes it more accurate than 205/45)

I'm running 215/40 front, 215/45 rear..so decent acceleration, with a bit more comfort on the rear. Rims are slightly wider at 7.5J though. I don't recommend this set up for a face lift TS, or GT though.

HTH :)

Edited by Kev 16v
  • Like 1

215/45 are perfect for your rims, mine were having the same spec.

Regarding acceleration you won't notice a thing, it is a placebo effect. I moved to 225/40/18 and the acceleration is still there. The only difference is the harsher ride.

Now about the spacers, you won't need any tbh, maybe 5-10mm on the rear, but leaving them as is you ll be more than fine.

9 minutes ago, ano said:

215/45 are perfect for your rims, mine were having the same spec.

Regarding acceleration you won't notice a thing, it is a placebo effect. I moved to 225/40/18 and the acceleration is still there.

Having a Rotrex fitted helps :D

Kev 16v:

Nah, it is not there since i cannot remember for how long. I do have the bracket and the intercooler installed though, these may help :D

Kobir:

Not sure whether 18x8.5 rims affect road noise, but Continental Premium Comfort 6 are bloody noisy. They are excellent in grip and handling though. Previously I had Linglongs that were soooo lovely quiet for 4 years but i had no confidence testing the rest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.