Dean 68 In Memoriam

daytona

If you are not familiar with Dean's story please look in the Club Chat forum "Back in hospital" thread. As a parting gesture and typical of the man he has left the club a legacy of £1000 towards equipment, events or possibly otherwise. The money has of course come via the lovely Helen to whom I am sure The Management will defer before using it but that is the question. How can we make the very best use of this money? Suggestions please. Get creative!

dean1.jpg

My suggestion is a "CCUK D-Day" to take place during the Summer of 2018.

It should be held in the Midlands, for two reasons. One, so is fairly central in the UK, making it not a million miles from any of the British members. Two, the Midlands is Dean's "old stomping ground", and where Helen still resides.

I'm suggesting we book a large plot at one of the two biggest Car Shows during the Summer, namely either C.I.T.P. Lichfield, or the Classic Show at Trentham Gardens in Stoke-on-Trent. Helen would of course be guest of honour, and her Gen 7 given pride of place on the Club Stand. I'm sure two or three of us would volunteer to spend some time making sure her Celica looks its best in the middle of the front row, you can count me in for one.

Last year, entry to C.I.T.P. was free, with Trentham Gardens costing around £4.50 per car (the public are charged £15 each!) . Given a choice between the two, Trentham is the more attractive location, with its beautiful gardens, lake, and shopping centre combined with huge indoor garden centre. I know Helen would love the shops!. It is necessary to book early for the Stoke Show though, I'm talking like..February. Members could then add their names to the attendance list on the relevant thread, once they have booked and paid on the Trentham Show website, mentioning CCUK when booking, so we get own own plot.

Whatever extra events as a tribute to Dean, to be held during the day, from fund raising in aid of cancer research (Daytona?), to having a "show 'n shine" competition, the club organising the awards of course. It would be a nice touch if a special award was presented on the day, before it went to its new home in Derby.

Jimmylegs would be the perfect choice to be Show Coordinator on the day, responsible for parking on the Club Stand, and the relevant "show 'n shine" categories. Not only does Jimmy live in Stoke, but he also always attends C.I.T.P., and ran the stand there earlier this year. Many of you will know he is very experienced in car detailing, so would be a "no-brainer" in my opinion for the responsibilities above.

An appearance from Amit, otherwise known as the legendary, ams..would also be appreciated, as both locations are not far from Brum.

Dawn to be our contact between the Club and the Show organisers as usual, as well as liaising with Jimmy for things like the trophies.

I think this would also be an opportunity to boost the club's profile next year with a really big turnout, as the forum has undoubtedly suffered in 2017, and new blood is needed. I'm sure this is something Dean would have been in favour of.

Trentham is on Sunday 17th June.

The date for C.I.T.P. is yet to be confirmed, but will be either the first, or second Sunday in July.

Well, what do you think?, I've "kicked off"..what other ideas do YOU have?.

Well as I can be tempted that far by a bag of chips and some mushy peas I guess I am in, like I could say no.

I can certainly bring an official BTR collecting bucket if someone else wants to carry it but you do have to ask for money or you just stand about like a lemon. B'stard lawyers do not suffer this affliction, but 4 hours over 2 days at JAE is about enough ta. I will do training if required tho.

Cars that have travelled less then 200 miles are of course excluded from show and shine for laziness. :P

Question. Apart from the S&S trophy this doesn't spend the money as such. We also need to think of something that will last the club for years. We have just got new pogoda marquee things , we have a Jenny  hmmmmmmmmmmmmm still thinking.

15 hours ago, daytona said:

Well as I can be tempted that far by a bag of chips and some mushy peas I guess I am in, like I could say no.

Apart from the S&S trophy this doesn't spend the money as such.

Chips & Mushy Peas is called a "Bag 'o Mixed" round here, Ian :)

You're right of course, that doesn't spend the money as such.

If Trentham Gardens were chosen, the Club "could" reimburse the admission fee to all the members who attended, in the same way they are subsidising next month's party. It's not something I would be in favour of personally, but it might make a difference to the number making the effort. Even if 50 cars attended, it would only cost the Club £225 (assuming 2016 prices).

Just want to say it's the best show I've attended in the last 40 years. Where else can you combine a Classic Show, a separate Modified Car Clubs area, take a cruise around the lake, or buy designer clothing?. All in really beautiful surroundings.

As for the vast majority of the money, I would vote for it being spent only when needed on "essentials".

I like the idea of a meet with Helen as guest of honour. I am mindful of how dedicated and resilient both Dean and Helen were in coming to three Prescott Meets, the latter two at personal cost to them. The second was after Dean's operation and initial treatment, and poor Helen had endured several operations after the car accident and was only able to eat liquidised food through a wired-up jaw with numerous metal plates. Now that is real committment to attending a Meet. Dean was so looking forward to lasting long enough to attend the 2017 Prescott Meet, but sadly it was not to be. Helen and her daughter attended in his honour in his cherished Gen 7.

I think it would be fitting to have some kind of annual award that would be a lasting memory in his name too, so we have something tangible.

For those who are not familiar with the Dean and Helen thread, here's a link to the thread in the Members Area http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/178953-back-in-hospital-dean-n-helens-thread-sad-update-pg-38/&sortby=date

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As I get the impression this thread runs the risk of.."dying a death", I'm posting a link to Gemini events for 2018, as bookings are now being taken. I've now ordered a Vehicle Pass for Trentham, the cost this year being £5 per vehicle, plus a 50p booking fee. This event is VERY popular, and understandably so, so don't hang about if you want to show your ride.

https://www.classicmotorshows.co.uk/

I can assure you the money has indeed been ringfenced and won’t be touched.

We are looking at a dedicated social event/club meet to hold in Deans memory and will be looking at all your ideas.  We haven’t said much on the matter as we were waiting for our management meeting to start discussions on what we could do :thumbs:

After some discussion with members at the birthday party at the weekend, the idea of a social event/party in October just after what would have been Deans 50th Birthday with a disco and buffet was passed to Helen who has said she loves the idea and would like us to organise.  Bryan has spoken to Helen this morning and along with her daughter Sharna are both thrilled with the idea.

The date would be Saturday 27th October and held at The Quays pub - Northampton (where we have our annual January club party)  Full information in a new thread will be posted this week so keep an eye out for that but keen to know what you also think of this idea??

We can also look at a summer event like suggested above also - can we suggest you run it by Helen to make sure she can attend the dates etc and then we can discuss further :thumbs:   Would be great if we can do both and get some extra events for a great cause on the calendar

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.