rear wheel bearing

paulcsk

hi, how easy is it to change rear wheel hubs,I think one of the bearings is on it's way out, not sure which one, when you are driving along there is a scraping noise from the rear but pads have been changed so it's not them, also when driving along with windows shut there is a grinding/humming noise with each revolution of the wheel,the faster you go the worse it gets,but there is no play in the wheels.regards paul.ps its a gen 7 140

1 hour ago, Akuma77 said:

check the tyres as some tyres make a lot of the same noise as well , my avon zz3s did this until i changed them to falken 914s

hi,I've got avon zz5 all round,do you think that's the cause of mine,front ones are new,rear ones have been on since I got the car 18 months ago

random fact - 

Most of us, as well as garages who do work, wont put on Toyota genuine parts.  This is absolutely fine of course, but having measured with a digital caliper side by side a new Toyota and a new blueprint (about as good as it gets for pattern stuff) rear discs the pattern ones are ever-so-slightly thicker, with less of a machined groove on the back side.

This results in the disc gently scraping against the handbrake shoes backplate, especially when going around corners when the entire assembly twists a little with the weight shifting.

Usual fixes include the careful application of a hammer to the back plate, or trying another brand of disc.

You can diagnose this easily by taking off the rear discs.  Look at the lip of the inner backing plate - if there is a shiny bare metal spot somewhere on its circumference you have this problem.  hit that bit with a hammer to bend it back a bit.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.