Celica return?

silver gt

Found this on DriveTribe

Anyone remember the Toyota Celica? Well, it might make a comback. According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Toyota Motor Corp. has filed a patent for the name on August 31, 2017.

Given that the personality of the Celica is split over two eras, the possibility of a future car is certainly an interesting one. Will it be a RWD coupe from yesteryear, or a flame-spitting AWD rally machine? Or will Toyota pull a Toyota and make it a FWD economy car aimed at volume sales?

I do have hope based on recent offerings from Toyota. GT86, Supra, S-FR concept... so hopefully that's an indication that they want to sell more sporty cars. But, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a sub-2.0-liter CVT crapbox.

Or, this is all nonsense and Toyota is just refiling the patent so as to not lose ownership of it. What do you guys think?

Just a refile. The demise of the Celi was down to the fact they couldn't make enough money out of 2.0 ltr coupe sales and as the GT86 exists and is generally well regarded I don't see they will think there is a market for it.

For once I would be happy to be completely wrong...........................

Well there was an article on various motoring sites back in the March, saying that Toyota are planning a 3-car sports line-up. The GT86, the new Supra, and possibly, even a new MR2. There's been no updates since then however, but I'm hoping we will get to hear something pretty soon. 

Id imagine they will wait until the celica name has a significant cult following so that when it is released it has some impact.

I reckon the supra name is at that point now so reckon they will release the talked about BMW/Toyota as a supra, celica is probably another 5-10 years away

13 minutes ago, ams said:

Id imagine they will wait until the celica name has a significant cult following so that when it is released it has some impact.

I reckon the supra name is at that point now so reckon they will release the talked about BMW/Toyota as a supra, celica is probably another 5-10 years away

Maybe yes, maybe rose tinted spectacles. I remember the early ones as a bit angular, the later ones as fat auto's. Known as great white whales in the trade. Sports cars should be light and manual. Each generation should show advancement, which is why the Celica ended with the 190 :P

Otherwise you end up completely f.king up a classic like the MGB, leather interior to vinyl to deckchair material, chrome bumpers to WTF were those USA regulation monstrosities stuck on the front? Recycled dustbins ffs???

23 hours ago, daytona said:

Just a refile.

This.

18 hours ago, ams said:

Forgive me, but isn't the best commercial strategy just to make a model series that keeps on selling well? I'd imagine the GT86 sales figures wouldn't lead anyone from Toyota to believe there's a huge pent up market for coupes. If they thought they could make a packet by releasing another FWD coupe, they'd do so tomorrow. But instead they're introducing new models like the C-HR.

The Supra would merely be a halo car to get people to see the brand as something other than a white goods manufacturer again. Therefore they'll make a handful that'll cost a fortune, with no real intention of having a wider audience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, teamdoa said:

Do you have some insider knowledge? work for Toyota?

Ooooh he does indeed have insider knowledge!

For those of you that enjoy his posts you will be aware of his pussy. It's a stealth computer cat from which much Mr T info can be downloaded. I'm not sure if pussy's name has been posted but I christen it with the acronym..........

Cat

At

Toyota

For

Us

Celica

Knowledge.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.