Which Gearbox Should I Choose?

DJDannyDee

Which Gearbox Should I Choose?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. I've a choice of two automatic gearboxes for my RA23 Celica. Both are the A-40 model. One has 97k miles on it and was faulty but has just been fully refurbished using a brand new refurb & service kit. The other only has 37k miles on it, has never been opened and is working perfectly. So which one should I put in my car?

• 97k miles gearbox with a full refurb
    • 37k miles and working

I think it's a really tough decision, fully refurbished or lower miles. Both have their strong points, I'm 50/50 to be honest. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. 

One small note to take into consideration: the 37k box I've not seen running, I've just the word of the seller it's all working 100%. 

Edited by DJDannyDee

1 hour ago, Old Red Celica said:

The price is the same?  I've voted for the rebuilt one, as effectively it's a zero mile box.

That does depend on the quality of the refurb and whether it was with OEM parts. If it was done by a pro with a good reputation, I'd go for the refurbed one too. If it was done by an amateur, I'd probably go for the low mileage one.

6 hours ago, Old Red Celica said:

The price is the same?  I've voted for the rebuilt one, as effectively it's a zero mile box.

The refurb'd one is mine, it came with the car. The 37k one is being bought for 150 Euros because I need a new torque converter as mine is shot. He won't sell it separately so I'm having to buy the whole box.

It's not a terribly bad price to be honest so I don't mind. Automatic gearboxes for Gen 1 Celicas are rare, so I'll grab it anyway as a back up. 

The refurb kit I don't think was by Toyota, but the guy doing the refurb comes highly recommended. His business in Dublin only works on automatic gearboxes, that's all they do. 

IF you can be sure the refurb is properly done,then I'd go with that.Risk percentage of poker ,less variables with the refurb'd one rather than one that supposedly has lower miles but has more variables of risk involved as you are only relying on someone's word,plus it might be alright now but put some miles on it and the older parts will start to react to the extra wear.

If you develop a problem with the refurb,at least you may have a chance of some recompense with the company that did it,if the other one fails then you're looking at another refurb anyway,and you've already paid for one.

I just spoke to the guy who did the refurb and he says it all went 100%, and she's good as new. 

I asked him, after I paid him, which one he would use and he said the refurb one. The main reason being that even though the other box has way less miles on it, it's still 40 years old. So the internal seals will have started to get hard and brittle. All it takes is for one of them to fail and you've got problems. 

I only wish I had of found the lower miles one sooner, as it would have been a far better candidate for a refurb. Ah well, timing is everything. 

Edited by DJDannyDee

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.