Snapped Stud :(

slybunda

so i over tightened a wheel nut and its snapped the stud. this is for the front drivers side wheel.

how hard is it to replace this? does the hub have to be removed? or is it like fords and can be hammered from the front till it pops out the back?

also Mr T wants £4.50p per stud i dunno if thats expensive but i found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Toyota-Wheel-Stud-63mm-Long-14-3mm-Spline-SSVO-/280621286711 but not sure if they are the correct size.

any help on this please peeps.

buststud.thumb.jpg.32dcc36b80c2a771749355a541782612.jpg

mr t used to charge £1.50 a stud - but that must be at least 10 years since i bought one. I sell used ones for £1.50 each plus post

rotate the hub so the broken one is at 3 oclock - if you look on the back of the flange you will see a dip in the shield behind the flange to allow the head to go past -  will then be able to whack it out. Put new one in - tap it as much as you can and then put a nut on and tighten up so that it pulls it through - check it on the back to make sure its all the way in

• Like 1

thanks for the reply ams, i just searched the net and found a guide:

https://www.celicahobby.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/281909/wheel-stud-hub-bolt-how-to-replace.html

looks like the hub doesnt need to be removed just as you said so thats sounds like an easy job. im wondering if i should replace all 5 of them? whats the length of the standard bolts?

i dont have one to hand to measure

dont normally need to replace all of them - very rare for more than 1 to go unless something has gone wrong.

toyota did use to say there were 3 types but I dont know the differences

just get the Toyota one.  Its been on the car and withstood at least 12 years of abuse, wheel on and off likely many, many times and repeated tightening to who-knows what torques

Would you really trust an ebay one of indeterminate origins to do the same?  don't forget, these hold your wheels on lol

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.