can not believe mr T prices sometimes

Took my T-Sport in to Mr T for its service Saturday, i have a service plan with them, when i picked up the car was told that the tailgate sturts could do with changing which they could do for, now wait for it, £311.28 yep thats right £311.28, took a look on E-bay and i can get them for £34.95, sometimes you really have to wonder.

how about 200 PLUS vat for a Power Steering reservoir - that's right over 200 quid for a piece of blow moulded plastic :)

Sometimes I find Toyota pretty reasonable - £169+vat for a rear subfram - that's pretty good.  Few quid for some intake gaskets? sure take my money.  Wait, what? £38 for a bolt ??

Edited by G.Lewarne

Nearly £40 a side for a strut boot, could get them for about £22 at the time from TCB parts. 

Apparently a genuine TRD spoiler (unpainted) was somewhere around £1200 only a couple of years ago..

On the plus I got a free sump plug washer from them last December ;) 

6 minutes ago, Cal670 said:

Nearly £40 a side for a strut boot, could get them for about £22 at the time from TCB parts. 

Apparently a genuine TRD spoiler (unpainted) was somewhere around £1200 only a couple of years ago..

On the plus I got a free sump plug washer from them last December ;) 

I never get a free sump washer from them any more.  Since they changed the people working at their parts desk its all gone downhill.  They are very by-the-book now and all three of them seem to have zero knowledge about what they are selling.

The one girl they have there is nice eye candy though :P

36 minutes ago, Kev 16v said:

They do an excellent range of trolley jacks too :)

*breaks out the bank card*

a couple of those 2 tonne low profile trolley jacks are just what I need now I'm lowered - its difficult getting my normal trolley jacks under the car lol.  thanks for the heads up - those are good prices

Those jack prices are really cheap,I'll be looking at another low profile one as I'm going to sell my Liftmaster pro-garage ultra low profile jobbie. I bought it ages back but I went a bit too OTT and its too heavy duty for general use TBH.The caravan sits in front of the garage these days so its too much to carry the thing about with my back .Only used it twice :lol: I'll stick an ad on here for it soon,cost me £120 plus posting (its biblically heavy) so ill ad it for around £70 ono collected.

The SGS struts have been used by a few guys on here I think havent they?Seem to remember a group buy a while back but not sure if that was with Kent gas Springs though.But yeah some of the dealer prices are ridiculous in their wild variations.I bought a set of Opti fit OEM wiper blades for the gen4 from my Mr T with the retro screw fittings cheaper than a set of budget crud from Euro parts.Ask about a plastic cover for something though and its second mortgage prices :wtf:

5 hours ago, Kev 16v said:

Sometimes it's worth paying just a bit more for quality :)

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/toyota/celica/nl2241-toyota-celica-boot-strut

I need a set for mine, they've failed after 13 years! 

Daft question i take it that's for one? I'll need or order 2 for both sides? 

I was was trying to stay away from the eBay ones so these are spot on! 

30 minutes ago, Cleario said:

I need a set for mine, they've failed after 13 years! 

Daft question i take it that's for one? I'll need or order 2 for both sides? 

I was was trying to stay away from the eBay ones so these are spot on! 

Yes, that's for one. As per the right hand side of the page, you need to match the Part No. with your existing struts, as they offer struts for both with, or without a spoiler on the tailgate (as do Toyota).

25 minutes ago, G.Lewarne said:

do you get a self-opening tailgate if you put spoiler struts on a non spoiler car? 

lol, I'm genuinely curious because I kinda want a self opening boot

Yes you do - I have the TRD spoiler struts on my Sports-M and as soon as you lift the boot it raises itself. ;) 

• Like 2

I have SGS struts which raise my spoiler & tailgate unassisted.

I expect the same struts on a non spoiler gate could give one an under the chin knock-out blow...

which would make a change from getting conked on the back of the head after using droopy knackered struts.

I've purchased a few things from SGS, their stuff is good for the job and fine for the price IMO, but be warned they use an awful delivery company who operate with the habit off delivering the stuff when they feel like it. Last time i stayed in all day waiting for a specified Monday delivery - only to see the courier had not bothered to come, and even listed the non-delivery as customer not at home  :angry:

Happens quite often with them apparently.

Debs

Unable to edit:

I'm only able to make a pointless reason for edit but not able to actually edit - wot's going on?  

make a change - not make a chance 

2 hours ago, tabbaranx said:

Yes you do - I have the TRD spoiler struts on my Sports-M and as soon as you lift the boot it raises itself. ;) 

I'm one of the lucky ones,I've got a 1987 car that when you open the tailgate up and give it a light lift with your hand the tailgate glides up nicely and stays there ^_^ And technically it has a spoiler attached lol. Conversely i bought a 1988 donor car years ago for parts,that had a tailgate that would stay up and lull you into a false sense of security when you were leaning into the back,and then drop like a goddamn stone when you least expected it :o It was genuinely bloody dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

I've purchased a few things from SGS, their stuff is good for the job and fine for the price IMO, but be warned they use an awful delivery company who operate with the habit off delivering the stuff when they feel like it. Last time i stayed in all day waiting for a specified Monday delivery - only to see the courier had not bothered to come, and even listed the non-delivery as customer not at home  :angry:

Happens quite often with them apparently.

I have this strange vision of you waiting for the courier to drop off your parts,then chasing him up your drive screaming at him and throwing an assorted mixture of razor-clawed tabby cats in his general direction :blink:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.