Anyone cleaned the nasty blueish gunge from the PS reservior?

Flushed and replaced my power steering fluid today with fresh Dex3 ATF.

Tried cleaning the nasty blue gungy buildup from inside the reservoir - even took it right off and soaked it in a strong bicarb solution for a couple hours (thoroughly rinsed and dried after of course) - but it came out no better.

Has anyone every successfully cleaned theirs, and if so, what did you use?

Lastly, why do all Toyota PS reservoirs go that nasty blue green colour anyway?

Changing the steering fluid is somewhere on my "to do" list, but I wasn't aware that there's a gunge issue. From what you say, sounds like it's not water soluble, so guess something like white spirit might be the next thing to try?

34 minutes ago, bazz54 said:

Changing the steering fluid is somewhere on my "to do" list, but I wasn't aware that there's a gunge issue. From what you say, sounds like it's not water soluble, so guess something like white spirit might be the next thing to try?

gunge would be the wrong word - more like nasty hard crap on the inside of the bottle - like a scale

9 minutes ago, Peter_7 said:

Think I used petrol or some solvent I got from work then flushed it out with carb cleaner but it still looks crap so don't get too upset about it because its stained for life.

but but but......

it bothers me :angry:

EDIT:

BAWAHAHAAAAAAAAaaahahahahahaaaaaaa hahahahaaa

So I just rang Toyota to see how much a new reservoir is, purely out of interest.  Its more expensive than my new rear subframe I got off them at £200 + vat

hahahaha

Edited by G.Lewarne

7 hours ago, Peter_7 said:

Think I used petrol or some solvent I got from work then flushed it out with carb cleaner but it still looks crap so don't get too upset about it because its stained for life.

Sounds like it has diffused in to the plastic, in which case it is probably there for good. If the reservoir is megabucks to replace, trying to clean one purely for under-bonnet aesthetics sounds like the 'risk / reward' ratio is off-putting.

• Like 1

yeah, I'm not going to bother.  I got it clean inside, just the discolouration left.  Ill leave it at that because the replace price for a new one is, frankly, stupid.  Even the parts guy on the phone scoffed at it lol

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a fair bit off it removed using a brush. But thats the only way it will shift. I tried brake cleaner soak and even soaked it in gunk degreaser and even hot water which made no difference. 

But any parts you can touch with a tissue or brush or your finger will clean out and become clear.

Iv recently bought a pressure washer so will give that a try too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slybunda said:

I managed to get a fair bit off it removed using a brush. But thats the only way it will shift. I tried brake cleaner soak and even soaked it in gunk degreaser and even hot water which made no difference. 

But any parts you can touch with a tissue or brush or your finger will clean out and become clear.

Iv recently bought a pressure washer so will give that a try too.

I cant be bothered with it now to be honest - was one of those "would be nice" things for asthetics only.  Let us know if you have any future success

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.