A 2017 review of the Gen7!

N-Seven

A Gen 7 T-Sport was £200 more quoted on insurance for me for a year than an SW20 MR2, despite being 1 insurance group lower, and FWD and less likely to spin on corners. It says on the Greenlight page that they won't insure new drivers on a 190 full stop aswell.

4 hours ago, Matthias Sammer said:

They should have reviewed the VVTLi though. Still, another good review though he keeps referring to it being a "young" driver's car now.  Guess, aged 33, I need to upgrade mine!

well they did say that the 190 is faster than the 86 lol:)

• Like 1

Well;

• I think the 7 looks better
  • the 7's hatch is just soooo wonderful
  • does the 86 feel *significantly* more powerful?
  • at these 'modest' power levels, is RWD something you want/need? If so, why?
  • depreciation on a 7 is negligible now.

No contest; I'm keeping my 7!

• Like 5

I always feel a bit sorry for the 86, gets so much grief and seems people have COMPLETELY missed the point as to what it's about. It's a nod back to the old 86 from the 80s, low power but amazing balance/handing and super fun to drive. The handling is on another level to the Gen 7.

Not really sure why people bring speed to the equation either, both cars are slow (stock). No one buys a Celica/86 for speed, so many cheaper/same price options with vastly more power and "speed". It's all about the character, nothing beats our cars for that!

Obviously at current prices you get a lot more car for your money with the 7... but in 15/20 years I'm not sure which will stick in the memory more. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EasyRight89 said:

I always feel a bit sorry for the 86, gets so much grief and seems people have COMPLETELY missed the point as to what it's about. It's a nod back to the old 86 from the 80s, low power but amazing balance/handing and super fun to drive. The handling is on another level to the Gen 7.

The 86 refers to the 86mm bore, and 86mm stroke of the Subaru's horizontally opposed boxer engine design.

I take your point  about being a nod back the past; the popularity of the MX5 and of vintage sports cars is evidence of that appeal and I do not 'dislike' the 86. But as a practical everyday car which still retains some driving pleasure, the G7's handling is well above average and, if the 86's is better, that alone doesn't tip the balance for me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

The 86 refers to the 86mm bore, and 86mm stroke of the Subaru's horizontally opposed boxer engine design.

"The development code of this vehicle is 086A[4] and its main production names 86 (pronounced "eight-six" or Hachi-Roku (ハチロク) in Japanese, but more commonly pronounced as "eighty-six") or GT86, reference historic Toyota front-engined and rear-wheel drive sports coupés and hatchbacks, in the form of:

• the 1967 2000GT (Japan's seminal fastback coupé whose design cues adorn the 86 and which was also powered by a 2.0-litre engine); and
  • the 1983 to 1987 AE86 range (renowned for its handling and drifting abilities).

Toyota also referenced to its first sports car, the Sports 800, given that both this car and the 86 share a boxer engine layout,[5] as widely used by project partner and 86 manufacturer, Subaru."

Good old Wikipedia! Whether it can be trusted is another thing. I didn't know it was also related to the engine layout. 

21 minutes ago, bazz54 said:

I take your point  about being a nod back the past; the popularity of the MX5 and of vintage sports cars is evidence of that appeal and I do not 'dislike' the 86. But as a practical everyday car which still retains some driving pleasure, the G7's handling is well above average and, if the 86's is better, that alone doesn't tip the balance for me.

Totally fair, if I had £26k I would certainly not be happy to spend that on a GT86. Though to spend £4k on a G7 GT and then keep the remaining £22k... much happier!

I've just been checking out the GT86's sales record. Launched in 2012, worldwide sales peaked in 2013 and then went sharply downwards. If you search Google, there are quite a few articles speculating over its future.

When it first came out I was surprised that they had stayed with the same idea of the high-revving engine with little low-end torque as per G7. Recall Tiff Nedell driving one around the TT course on IoM for "5th Gear". Both G7 and GT86 needed better (bigger?) engines.

I'd guess that if the GT86 went out of production, used car prices would tumble quickly, as per usual and GT86 ownership might soon be more easily attainable...if you want one!

Edited by bazz54

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.