Imobiliser/ignition problem

Hi

im having an issue with my 2005 celica GT190,my problem is when the car is cold i back off the drive & start up the road,soon as i go to change gear or do a hard shift the red security light flicks on,the engine managment light flickers & the car lurches & feels like all the power has been zapped from it,but its only for a split second,the strange thing is as soon as its up to full temp it hardly ever happens,i dont lose any other electrics or power steering,so its not completely cutting out,but its like everything other than fully cutting out is going on.Ive never experienced this with any other car.

I was getting an error code for the 02 sensors so thought it could be that,maybe the mixture or injectors were going a bit crazy as a result of bad sensors,but i changed both of them yesterday,left the negative off to reset the ecu,but the same problem started again.

if anyone has ever had this with there Celica or has any advice as to what it might be i would be really grateful,its one of those REALLY annoying problems,everytime it happens im getting flung forward when all the forward momentum stops for a split second.

i'll also just add that the engine managment light isnt staying on,and when i scan the ecu there are no codes showing.

thanks in advance

Gary

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

yes the key is original,i dont think the battery is loose.I also have the spare key which doesnt have a battery,i tried using that one,but it still did it!!!!....,its really puzzling me at the min.

No i havnt fitted a brace.The problem only happens when the car is cold,soon as its up to running temp the problem goes away.

No i havnt fitted a brace.The problem only happens when the car is cold,soon as its up to running temp the problem goes away.

If i pull away quick & go through the gears letting the clutch out fast it does the jerking,i suppose it IS a bit like its trying to stall,but it will kangaroo maybe 3/4 times,then stops until i change gear again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a stage 4 competition clutch fitted about 5mths ago,and to be honest its never been right,everytime i change down & the engine takes up the drive i get a split sec of friction rubbing noise,also if i hold the clutch in at the lights once ever 10 or so times when i go to let it back out the bite is immediate,there will be no pedal lift before it bites,literally the sec a start to let it out it bites,BUT it doesnt pull away,i have to continue letting it out,then all of a sudden it catches and throws the car forward.I cant afford to have it looked at though which is why i lived with it.If this was related to the clutch would it not do it all the time & not just when its cold?,i love the car,ive always wanted the GT since its release,but im starting to think it might be time to let her go,i cant afford the work on it anymore[emoji17]

Which mounts could be worn?

From my experience it will be the clutch rather than the mounts, once warmed up they are a bit better

What make was the clutch and how many miles have you done since - they do take a while for them to bed in - I dont fit the competition clucthes anymore as most people dont really like them after they are fitted.

Why did you fit a competition clutch?

The clutch was the stage 4 6puck type from Competition Clutch themselves,my original clutch had started to slip & a friend told me that because i drive quite fast that i would be better with a performance type clutch.
Ive done about 3/4k miles since it was fitted.I definitely wont be having another performance clutch once i replace this one.
Would this cause the red security light & engine management light to flicker?
Its only just started to happen,even though the clutch has been in for a good few months.

perhaps the juddering is causing it to stall , its a hard one to diagnose without seeing it

Try this when its cold, change gear as you normally would but leave it in neutral for a few seconds before going into gear and see if it happens in those few seconds or if its only when you then go into gear

The OEM clutch is fine for an unboosted car as long as you dont ride it

Ok,im going to pick the kids up from school at 3.30,i will try it then-it hasnt been driven since the same time yesterday,so the engine will be cold,giving me the right conditions to try it.
Just so im right,pull away then as i dip the clutch knock it into neutral?...,the only problem ive got is that when it does the kangaroo thing,soon as i dip the clutch it stops it[emoji35]i will try what you have suggested,anything i can try to get to the bottom of this issue i am more than willing to try.

Ok so the update is...,i couldnt do the tests you suggested yesterday as we had to pick someone else up so needed the wifes car.Anyway i tried them this morning on the way to work...,the problem is starting a split second BEFORE i dip the clutch to change gear,almost at the end of a normal gear change rev range,the EML flashes & red security light comes on,also the headlights go REALLY dim while the car is kangarooing but it doesnt effect any other electrical component like the stereo,nor do i lose power steering.I dont understand why it is only doing it when the car is cold.
When i did the second test it didnt make any difference.
Its driving me mad now,its almost like the car is cutting out,but not fully,ive never known anything like it to compare it to!!!!

It does it both during acceleration & when i come off,it has also done it a couple of times under hard breaking.There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.The only thing i know for sure is that its really bad when i run it for the first time in a morning.I dont know if something is arcing or if its earthing out on something,when the gearbox was put back in one of the wires could of been put in the wrong place,i didnt do the wiring so cant say for sure.
I had an error code for the secondary air pump the other day which has been coming on for a while now,but when the car did the kangarooing thing yesterday,it turned the engine management light off,as if id cleared the code..,also when it does it the headlights go REALLY dim as its kangarooing,and just before.
I will try to get the wife to video it in the morning so that you can see what i mean..,its very strange.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.